Filter change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcidRainFalls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 2 1/2 gallon tank is getting so dirty that the filter no longer works. The tank is only four weeks old and I'm only done one water change the water looks good but I don't want to remove the good bacteria from the tank by removing the filter and changing. What should I do?

What kind of filter do you have? If you can buy a new filter and leave the other one in there to seed the new one for a few weeks you are good to go.

Others will take a bucket of tank water and gently swish it around in the bucket.

Or if possible just stick your old media in the new filter

Before anything I would change your water more often and swish the filter media in old tank water to clean it. Look at doing a 50% water change weekly and that should help out. Also, what are your parameters as well as what fish are in the tank?

You should almost never have to change the filter media out so if it's dirty enough to impede the flow of the water then it just needs a little more looking after.

Define what you mean by the tank water being "dirty"

Is it cloudy?
Brown?
Green?
A lot of suspended debris in the water?

This is so hard to know what to do. I recently did a water change. I think the small amount of decay from the plants may be going into the filter and clogging it. I have other filter cartridges but have been told not to use them because it would kill the bacteria in the tank and mess up the over all quality of the water. The water looks great and so do the fish but the waters coming out of the side of the filter instead of through the filter. Ugh.

The pet store said to change the filter every four weeks is that accurate and should I do things differently because this Tank was just started

The pet store said to change the filter every four weeks is that accurate and should I do things differently because this Tank was just started

When a pet store tells you to do that then it is safe to throw out any info they have ever given you or will ever give you. The filter companies tell you to change out the filters often in order to increase sales and get more profit. The only time you need to change out the filter cartridge is when it is literally decaying and falling apart.

So to keep a tank a weekly water change is an important part of keeping a tank healthy. Weekly 50% water changes are the best way to go. As for the filter clogging up, like I said before just swirl it around in the water from a water change.

What fish do you have in your tank?
Also, what plants do you have?

I have no idea what plants but I have three guppies. Should I take caution in which direction I swirl the filter so debris does not get on the wrong side? Is better to water change every day or just weekly?

I have no idea what plants but I have three guppies. Should I take caution in which direction I swirl the filter so debris does not get on the wrong side? Is better to water change every day or just weekly?

The direction you swirl the filter doesn't matter. Just get as much gunk off it as you can.

A water change never really hurts a fresh water tank as long as it's done properly. Just be sure to match the temperature before adding new water into the tank. You can do them as much as you want but a weekly 50% change is the standard amount that most people do.

Well, where did I hear that before......oh yeah, from the two LFS in my town. I don't bother asking/taking advice from those guys/gals anymore. Many AA members have been told the same.

This is so hard to know what to do. I recently did a water change. I think the small amount of decay from the plants may be going into the filter and clogging it. I have other filter cartridges but have been told not to use them because it would kill the bacteria in the tank and mess up the over all quality of the water. The water looks great and so do the fish but the waters coming out of the side of the filter instead of through the filter. Ugh.
Give the filter a good clean, using old tank water. Make sure not to let any media dry out. A turkey baster is a great tool for sucking any gunk from a HOB in between cleaning. For the debris, use a pre-filter sponge on the intake pipe.

Attachments

• foam-pre-filter-replacement.jpg
    foam-pre-filter-replacement.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2010_01210137.jpg
    2010_01210137.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 52
Well, where did I hear that before......oh yeah, from the two LFS in my town. I don't bother asking/taking advice from those guys/gals anymore. Many AA members have been told the same. Give the filter a good clean, using old tank water. Make sure not to let any media dry out. A turkey baster is a great tool for sucking any gunk from a HOB in between cleaning. For the debris, use a pre-filter sponge on the intake pipe.

That's funny you should say that I just buy turkey baster the other day without anyone telling me to. Felt like a genius. lol. I rinsed off the filter and then we filled the water with clean water and it seems to be much better thank you for all your help. Have a 20 gallon to set up still and I'm really nervous about it I can't really keep my little tank going. But no casualties yet!

With that issue taken care of I feel the need to point out that guppies need a bigger tank than the 2.5g you currently have. Honestly the only fish that comes to mind as being a good fit for a tank that size is a betta.

Also, while it doesn't seem like it; larger tanks are easier to care for. There is more water volume which means a slower change in parameters.

With that issue taken care of I feel the need to point out that guppies need a bigger tank than the 2.5g you currently have. Honestly the only fish that comes to mind as being a good fit for a tank that size is a betta.

Also, while it doesn't seem like it; larger tanks are easier to care for. There is more water volume which means a slower change in parameters.

I was just going to point out about the size thing. Also, are you using dechlorinator at all and do you have a liquid test kit?

Back
Top Bottom