Filter Floss??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Quick question, does anyone have experience using polyester stuffing as filter floss? I have a bag and would like to use it but I'm not sure if polyester will harm my fish? It's 100% recycled polyester, used for stuffing pillows,toys,pet beds..

Attachments

• image-883606922.jpg
    image-883606922.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 233
I use it and it great! You get really clear water with it. It does not harm fish as long as it is 100% polyester, so you shouldn't have a problem.

George9 said:
I use it and it great! You get really clear water with it. It does not harm fish as long as it is 100% polyester, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Awesome! Thank you for the fast response :) I was literally sitting here with the batting in my lap waiting until I heard from someone whether or not to stick it in. I was doing the "should I or shouldn't I ?" in my head. Lol!

Quick question, does anyone have experience using polyester stuffing as filter floss? I have a bag and would like to use it but I'm not sure if polyester will harm my fish? It's 100% recycled polyester, used for stuffing pillows,toys,pet beds..

As long as it doesn't have any fire-retardants or other additives, which is should say if it did ... I'd say your good to go. Great stuff to help polish off your water, really works great!

jcolon said:
As long as it doesn't have any fire-retardants or other additives, which is should say if it did ... I'd say your good to go. Great stuff to help polish off your water, really works great!

Uh oh.. I just put it in. There's nothing stating on the bag anywhere that it would be fire resistant. They'd have to mark it if it was right?

Uh oh.. I just put it in. There's nothing stating on the bag anywhere that it would be fire resistant. They'd have to mark it if it was right?

As far as I know, it should indicate if it had fire-retardants or other chemicals added. Usually, when you see 100% poly-fill on the bag, that's what you got.

Phew, hopefully all goes well. Just another thing for me to worry about. No biggie. ;-) Lol! They don't seem to mind it. They're swimming upstream in the current, no itching or anything. I think it should be good.

Malawi Freak said:
I've been using it for years and just made another filter with it.

I have been changing out the micron filter almost on a weekly basis due to getting plugged up. I remembered I had this bag of "fluff" kicking around the house I figured I'd ask in here to see if it would work. Trying to save myself some money without harming my fish of course. So happy the vote was yes!

Is it just me? But I swear I'm already noticing a difference in the clarity of my water. I stuffed some in my other tanks filters too now. Lol!

Is it just me? But I swear I'm already noticing a difference in the clarity of my water. I stuffed some in my other tanks filters too now. Lol!

Give it two weeks then swap it out, guaranteed you'll be shocked at the amount of debris it'll have captured.

jcolon said:
Give it two weeks then swap it out, guaranteed you'll be shocked at the amount of debris it'll have captured.

It's pretty bad when I'm excited to see all the crap on it in two weeks time. Lol! It really has made a huge difference in my tank with my dragon goby. He's always kicking stuff up and usually it sits in the water like a fog. This stuff has seriously made his tank clearer, I never thought it was possible. Lol!

I personally never threw out the filter floss, just swirl it around in a bucket of tank water. I literally ran the stuff until it fell apart. I bought a bag YEARS ago and I haven't even used a third of it. I use it as a prefilter for fry too, wrap a bunch around your intake and put a rubber band over it. Sometimes if I can get it right, I won't need the rubber band, it will just hold itself there.

I can't recommend polyfill, or whatever you want to call it, enough!

meegosh said:
I personally never threw out the filter floss, just swirl it around in a bucket of tank water. I literally ran the stuff until it fell apart. I bought a bag YEARS ago and I haven't even used a third of it. I use it as a prefilter for fry too, wrap a bunch around your intake and put a rubber band over it. Sometimes if I can get it right, I won't need the rubber band, it will just hold itself there.

I can't recommend polyfill, or whatever you want to call it, enough!

Definitely good to know! I love stuff that you can keep using until it falls apart! The stuff that you have to throw out every time worries me. I always think oh man what is this going to send my tank into? I never even thought about putting it on my intake. Another good idea. :) I have a sponge on there now it was white now it's all gummy with beautiful bb! Lol! I may try that trick down the road. Thanks for sharing!

Use it all the time in my canister filter best stuff on earth and it's cost is close to nothing for a giant bag compared to actual filter floss. Change it out in 2 weeks and it will be black lol

My filter is set up for three levels of filtering, so I put in the block of foam that came with the filter first (at the bottom), then the polyfil in the middle, and ceramic rings in a net bag at the top.

For the first few months, I just alternated rinsing everything out in old tank water (rings one week, polyfil the next, foam the next), but when the polyfil was completely black from debris--and most of that didn't rinse out, I put in a new piece (folded so there are at least 3-4 layers of it). I didn't disturb the ceramic rings or foam that week, and there was no ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom