Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it just me? But I swear I'm already noticing a difference in the clarity of my water. I stuffed some in my other tanks filters too now. Lol!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That stuff is great. It really polishes the water.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
Is it just me? But I swear I'm already noticing a difference in the clarity of my water. I stuffed some in my other tanks filters too now. Lol!
Give it two weeks then swap it out, guaranteed you'll be shocked at the amount of debris it'll have captured.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon

Give it two weeks then swap it out, guaranteed you'll be shocked at the amount of debris it'll have captured.
It's pretty bad when I'm excited to see all the crap on it in two weeks time. Lol! It really has made a huge difference in my tank with my dragon goby. He's always kicking stuff up and usually it sits in the water like a fog. This stuff has seriously made his tank clearer, I never thought it was possible. Lol!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

I personally never threw out the filter floss, just swirl it around in a bucket of tank water. I literally ran the stuff until it fell apart. I bought a bag YEARS ago and I haven't even used a third of it. I use it as a prefilter for fry too, wrap a bunch around your intake and put a rubber band over it. Sometimes if I can get it right, I won't need the rubber band, it will just hold itself there.

I can't recommend polyfill, or whatever you want to call it, enough!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
I personally never threw out the filter floss, just swirl it around in a bucket of tank water. I literally ran the stuff until it fell apart. I bought a bag YEARS ago and I haven't even used a third of it. I use it as a prefilter for fry too, wrap a bunch around your intake and put a rubber band over it. Sometimes if I can get it right, I won't need the rubber band, it will just hold itself there.

I can't recommend polyfill, or whatever you want to call it, enough!
Definitely good to know! I love stuff that you can keep using until it falls apart! The stuff that you have to throw out every time worries me. I always think oh man what is this going to send my tank into? I never even thought about putting it on my intake. Another good idea. I have a sponge on there now it was white now it's all gummy with beautiful bb! Lol! I may try that trick down the road. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use it all the time in my canister filter best stuff on earth and it's cost is close to nothing for a giant bag compared to actual filter floss. Change it out in 2 weeks and it will be black lol
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbackfan View Post
I use polyfill in place of carbon in my AquaClear50. It works great.
Do you use ceramic rings or anything with the polyfill or just the polyfill?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My filter is set up for three levels of filtering, so I put in the block of foam that came with the filter first (at the bottom), then the polyfil in the middle, and ceramic rings in a net bag at the top.

For the first few months, I just alternated rinsing everything out in old tank water (rings one week, polyfil the next, foam the next), but when the polyfil was completely black from debris--and most of that didn't rinse out, I put in a new piece (folded so there are at least 3-4 layers of it). I didn't disturb the ceramic rings or foam that week, and there was no ammonia spike.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com