Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Filter idea?

Hello, using two external filters could i run a sump without an overflow. I was thinking of putting the intake from filter number 1 in the display tank and the output of filter 1 in the sump. The water is then filtered through the sump, the intake of filter 2 picks the water up and returns it to the display tank through its outputs.

The 2 filters i have are exactly the same and if there is any difference in flow i can allways use the valves to slow one down.

Would this be worth doing? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_raw View Post
Hello, using two external filters could i run a sump without an overflow. I was thinking of putting the intake from filter number 1 in the display tank and the output of filter 1 in the sump. The water is then filtered through the sump, the intake of filter 2 picks the water up and returns it to the display tank through its outputs.

The 2 filters i have are exactly the same and if there is any difference in flow i can allways use the valves to slow one down.

Would this be worth doing? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
you would have to make certain that the intake is placed so that in the event of a power failure, the tank doesn't drain, hence the use of overflows.
The idea of using two pumps, one feeding and one returning, really isn't that sound of an idea because if any difference between the two develops, you can end up with a flooded display or flooded sump.
Something as simple as partial blockage of the intake would be enough to cause issues. So a snail or other critter could potentially cause a flood in the middle of the night.
Generally you want to use gravity to get water from the display to the sump, not a pump.

Using one canister to move water out of the sump would be safer and you could use the second for additional biological/chemical filtration.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
you would have to make certain that the intake is placed so that in the event of a power failure, the tank doesn't drain, hence the use of overflows.
The idea of using two pumps, one feeding and one returning, really isn't that sound of an idea because if any difference between the two develops, you can end up with a flooded display or flooded sump.
Something as simple as partial blockage of the intake would be enough to cause issues. So a snail or other critter could potentially cause a flood in the middle of the night.
Generally you want to use gravity to get water from the display to the sump, not a pump.

Using one canister to move water out of the sump would be safer and you could use the second for additional biological/chemical filtration.
seove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Er, no.
Unless the sump was overhead with an overflow, but that's ridiculous!
You may as well use a pump and overflow!
A properly sized sump would make a canister redundant unless you had a small tank and a monster filter. The only use could be for special media storage.

(Drilling glass is fairly straightforward though.)

Like they say, if one half fails you have a problem. If the sump runs dry, that's almost ok but if the tank runs dry. . . . .

Gravity down, pump up.
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com