Filter mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi nit sure if this is the place to post this but I was wondering if anyone has ever modified the outtake on a fluval 405? The reason I ask is I have a 190L tank which needs a fairly decent filter which the fluval does brilliantly, but because it is a corner unit the depth/length isn't great and no matter where I seem to direct the outtake it always seems to be a bit too strong, is there any way of decreasing the strength without affecting the flow rate?

Anything you attach to the filter return will affect flowrate, but a good design will only affect it minimally.

Try making a spray bar. A spray bar is really just a pipe with some holes drilled in it. If you drilled several small holes, you could diffuse the flow quite a bit without reducing the volume. It might take some experimentation though.

1/2" pvc with a cap on one end and holes drilled every 3/4" or so. Cut to the length of your choosing, the longer it is, the less power it will have.

Wow cheers guys for the quick replies! Does a wide lilly pipe or something with a wide mouth reduce the strength also? Or is that just my mind? The fluval seems to be quite tight mouthed would a wider mouth help along with holes in the pipe also?

Back
Top Bottom