FINISHED!! 125g stand and canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pitt...i think that is perhaps the coolest comment anyone has ever left on one of my threads! i'm gonna print it and read every time something doesn't go right in my fish world.:D i am definetely excited to be able to start setting these things up. i've spent many nights pondering what i want to do w/ them, to the point of insanity. ty for the kind words to karegg also, and everyone who stopped by to have a look.

the fx5 is thus far flawless. i haven't tried to drain it yet, but i did remember that i drain down into the yard, so gravity is not an issue w/ syphon and draining. in other words...i won't need a stool for it. i may put another piece of foam under it , so the drain valve is more accesible. [on a side note...
i did discover that the fx5 does not care for a prefilter. at least the one i tried...an AC foam jammed inside the intake strainer.]

the other filters on the tank are 2 emperor 400's. i had a 280 on it also, but have since moved it to the other 125g, to help in measuring the backround.

stay tuned as that tank will be up and running around next wednesday or so. i think u'll like the backround work.

hello..im new here and i saw your hood and i really like it. i have a 125 gal tank too. im thinking about building me a hood too. do u have any blue prints for this one?

ty paty and BD.

schematics...
img_863987_0_d51e089220b66e229c03d4bfe69520f9.jpg

img_863987_1_7c1cb3668d9dc540d4b82f66c0d2ff8f.jpg

the door design for the HOB's changed a bit to add structural support. all i did was NOT cut the door all the way to the edge of the canopy. if u r going to use these...please please double check the measurements. i believe i may have altered them a bit as i went along, to account for wood thickness.

basically, the frame rails should sit on the aquarium edge, w/ maybe a quarter inch overhang on either side. then the exterior wood attaches to that frame rail...at least in the design. when u build it, u will put the exterior together first, then add the frame rails and doors. also i would suggest making it a few inches taller. maybe 12" total, for more light clearance. keep in mind that mine is designed for emperor filters. AC and some other brands may need more depth in the total canopy measurement for clearance.

good luck and lemme know if u have more questions or need more pics.

hey thanks for the imfo. i made a copy of just about every picture and blueprint u got there. i redid the blue print in my photo thing and it came out darker for i can read it. i might still have some question down the road..thank you for your help.

i was wondering what kind of wood you used for your hood. im just now getting ready to build mine. i had to wait until this fall to build mine.

hey big daddy. sorry for the delay. the wood is called AC plywood. picked it up at Lowes. i honestly don't care for the wood and i'd recommend spending the extra money on genuine birch or oak ply. the trim is ur basic molding stuff. just make sure u get a molding that will take a stain.

Beautiful professional work!! I am about to start a canopy for a 125 gallon freshwater planted tank. Your work will certainly prove helpful.

Back
Top Bottom