Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just make sure when it`s running that it leaves you enough room for the back flow if the power goes off. Or dreill a small hole in the return line at the top. I dont have hole drilled in mine but my refuge handles the backflow.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Just make sure when it`s running that it leaves you enough room for the back flow if the power goes off. Or dreill a small hole in the return line at the top. I dont have hole drilled in mine but my refuge handles the backflow.
I'm going to put several siphon breaks just in case a snail happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I know I'm going to get water on the floor the first time I simulate a power failure, it's just my luck. I'm stubborn and am going to go strictly with my calculations for the first shot then manually tweak it after I clean up the water. LOL . If it works the first shot I'm going to crack open a brew then take the family out for din din.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

This looks like a great design. If you don't mind, I'd like to get some specs from you so I could build a similar one at some point in the future?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
This looks like a great design. If you don't mind, I'd like to get some specs from you so I could build a similar one at some point in the future?
The specs changed from my original drawing so I altered them on the fly so I'll give to you off the top of my head. The tank is 30 gallons with the following dimensions 36x12x16. I used 1/8 " glass for all of the baffles except where return chamber is where I used 3/16" glass in case the pump decides to do something nutty. All baffles on the left side (fuge) are spaced about 1/2 inch apart with the 1st baffle (From left to right) from the bottom up is 14" high and 14 inches from the left side of the tank. 2nd baffle from the top down is 14" high 1/2 inch away from the 1st and roughly about 1-1/2 inches above the bottom of the tank and the third is 9" high from the bottom up and 1/2" away from the 2nd baffle. Now the baffles on the right/skimmer side (From right to left), the 1st baffle is 10" high (this size was picked because most in sump skimmers need anywhere from 8 to 10 inches of water to operate properly so I picked the higher end and figured I could alway raise the skimmer in the sump if the 10 inch height is to high if I made it 8" and that was to low I would be screwed)from the bottom up. 2nd baffle is 14" high from the top down with 1-1/2 inches above the bottom of the tank and spaced 1/2 " from the first baffle with the 3rd is 9 inches high from the bottom up and spaces far enough away from the second baffle for the egg crate shelf which I think is about 2 inches wide. I calculated the reserve capacity after test filling to be about 8 gallons of volume for back flow from the DT in case of a power failure. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Are you going to use an ATO? The reason I ask is that center section is where the water level will drop from evaporation and it doesn't look like it hold very much water.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Are you going to use an ATO? The reason I ask is that center section is where the water level will drop from evaporation and it doesn't look like it hold very much water.
I do plan on putting in an ATO, I also completed the plumbing in the wall behind the tank and installed my RO/DI unit right next to the tank which I plan on using directly for the ATO supply water. I think as of now the volume in the center is approximately 5 gallons, this is the change I made when I was building it (Made the return chamber larger and shrunk the fuge area).
Old 10-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the specs. What I am considering this for is a friend/customer's tank that I have a thread running on, it's a 120 acrylic in a recessed cabinet, but the space beneath it is the same dimensions as the tank, so it could even house a 55 or 75g sump. Right now he's running it on a 30g Oceanic sump here

and him and I talked about setting up a refugium to help keep his Nitrates under control and supply pods. If I had to guess, the bigger sump the better, more volume, stability, and margin for error (power outage, etc) since it's in an office.

I guess I have a few questions about how you installed the panes inside. How do you go about sealing up the edges of the interior glass panes when they're so close? I've re-done seals on a tank, but not interior panes so if you could maybe explain it quick so I get the general idea.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you're getting good levels out of it. Good luck on the install.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Looks like you're getting good levels out of it. Good luck on the install.
Thanks TC. We'll know what happens by this weekend.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Thanks for the specs. What I am considering this for is a friend/customer's tank that I have a thread running on, it's a 120 acrylic in a recessed cabinet, but the space beneath it is the same dimensions as the tank, so it could even house a 55 or 75g sump. Right now he's running it on a 30g Oceanic sump here

and him and I talked about setting up a refugium to help keep his Nitrates under control and supply pods. If I had to guess, the bigger sump the better, more volume, stability, and margin for error (power outage, etc) since it's in an office.

I guess I have a few questions about how you installed the panes inside. How do you go about sealing up the edges of the interior glass panes when they're so close? I've re-done seals on a tank, but not interior panes so if you could maybe explain it quick so I get the general idea.
If you do take on this project you better get your calculations nailed down because a 1" pipe gravity fed will allow a flow rate of 16gpm or 996gph, this will make a mess in hurry. As far as the caulking goes the only baffles that are siliconed 100% on both sides are first ones on each side the other baffles I pressed the silicone in with my finger on the side that was accessible so it would go thru to the other side just a tiny bit because trying to get in there to smooth it out is not happening.

BTW, that sump is in nasty shape.

Tags
diy, diy sump, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com