Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Just make sure when it`s running that it leaves you enough room for the back flow if the power goes off. Or dreill a small hole in the return line at the top. I dont have hole drilled in mine but my refuge handles the backflow.
The only thing I see has already been covered. I like the media shelve you put in.

I have a 55 gallon that I turned into a sump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5814 (Small).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	21196

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5816 (Small).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	21197

Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
That was the whole idea, I want a slower flow rate thru the refugium where the microalgae is going to reside while the flow rate is going to be faster through the skimmer section. Note, the flow rates will be fully adjustable via each valve, one on the skimmer side and the other on the fuge side.

good luck with that.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodon king View Post
good luck with that.
Thanks man, it should go well, I only anticipate cleaning up about 5 gallons the first time around and nailing it the second time.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike75 View Post
The only thing I see has already been covered. I like the media shelve you put in.

I have a 55 gallon that I turned into a sump.

Attachment 21196

Attachment 21197
Hey, that looks familiar. LOL. Nice looking job BigMike. If I'm looking at it correctly the fuge is on the right, return in the middle and main intake/skimmer compartment on the left. I noticed that when I did my test fill that the water flowing from the fuge side created a good amount of bubbles which made me glad I added the bubble trap on that side as well. when you test yours keep a look out for the bubbles, the water is falling pretty far. The media shelf was one of those on the fly changes I made, I needed a place for my stuff in case I decide to retire my 2080.

Is that black egg crate at the top of the fuge baffle to keep everything in there, if it is where can I get it?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Is that black egg crate at the top of the fuge baffle to keep everything in there, if it is where can I get it?
That is what its for. Should stop any microalgae from flowing out of your fuge.

BLACK 2' x 2' Squares of Egg crate Bulk Reef Supply

It is a little higher then regular egg crate, but if you order anything else from BRS it is a nice pickup.

With slower flow rate going into fuge and a 90 half way in your waterline you shouldn't have microbubbles. The air should come out the top of the 90 that is not in the water.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
That is what its for. Should stop any microalgae from flowing out of your fuge.

BLACK 2' x 2' Squares of Egg crate Bulk Reef Supply

It is a little higher then regular egg crate, but if you order anything else from BRS it is a nice pickup.

With slower flow rate going into fuge and a 90 half way in your waterline you shouldn't have microbubbles. The air should come out the top of the 90 that is not in the water.
Thanks for the info on the black egg crate. I was talking about when the water goes over the fuge baffle into your return chamber, when the water into the return water it creates bubbles. Maybe it's negligible but it's what I saw during my test at the sink.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Like you stated without the bubble trap yours would have had a long fall to the return section. Mine is only a 3 inch fall to my return section. The distance is what causes those bubbles.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Like you stated without the bubble trap yours would have had a long fall to the return section. Mine is only a 3 inch fall to my return section. The distance is what causes those bubbles.
Oops, i didn't notice the height difference in the photo, my bad. My difference is about 5 inches. I'm in the middle of attempting a DIY PVC overflow, I should have it completed in a 1/2 hour and am going to test it with two 17 gallon containers outside.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's wrong with a straight siphon?

I was testing out several pvc overflow configurations and found the flow to be horrible, went to a straight siphon and it works great with plenty of flow into my test setup in the yard. Is there anything wrong with using a straight siphon? To me it's very simple and works.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If you do take on this project you better get your calculations nailed down because a 1" pipe gravity fed will allow a flow rate of 16gpm or 996gph, this will make a mess in hurry. As far as the caulking goes the only baffles that are siliconed 100% on both sides are first ones on each side the other baffles I pressed the silicone in with my finger on the side that was accessible so it would go thru to the other side just a tiny bit because trying to get in there to smooth it out is not happening.

BTW, that sump is in nasty shape.
That makes sense. What about at the bottom? Do you just put in a thick bead or do you round the corner of the interior pane and try to get it as close to the bottom of the tank to get a smaller seal?

It seems to me that if you set the sump in place with the DT level at the bottom of the overflow, so no water is running through it, then fill up the sump all the way and fire it up, you will never have a problem with the sump overflowing if the power goes out. Is there something I'm missing in that logic? Newbie to SW for please forgive my ignorance.

Tags
diy, diy sump, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com