Finished my DIY Sump/Refugium. Need some feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's online

Hi Guys
I got it online yesterday and had to change a few things. The 1st was I shortened the intakes so they are now only a few inches below the chamber levels to reduce the back pressure and surges (Thanks for the heads up BigMike, I understand what you meant now), and the second was to reduce the intake of water. With out these changes it was nearly impossible to keep a constant level in the sump. The other thing is that the blue valve I installed on the T doesn't work well to start the siphon unless the pipe is completely empty. I'm going to install a second valve on the back 1" 90 on the intake to start the siphon which will work 100% better. The blue valve on the T does have a new label (Water sample/drip acclimation supply valve), I'm happy when a mistake has a positive result.

Sump Online
img_1044641_0_23b5ababac843dc71cdcaf69caaac60a.jpg

Intake before mod
img_1044641_1_3053791adc65f5c57981a2b3e38de44a.jpg

Intake after mod
img_1044641_2_e13162a624a1f9a3993f20057ef82d9b.jpg

I haven't completed the pickup in the DT yet, but is going to operate as a direct U tube from tank to sump via the manifold so i can independently control the flow into each compartment. Here is a pic of the DT intake which may change to a straight down tube with a siphon break.

img_1044718_0_3053791adc65f5c57981a2b3e38de44a.jpg

img_1044718_1_f9b8883a8a413bdc4b61536fa02798c6.jpg

i meant the back side of the plumbing

"It seems to me that if you set the sump in place with the DT level at the bottom of the overflow, so no water is running through it, then fill up the sump all the way and fire it up, you will never have a problem with the sump overflowing if the power goes out. Is there something I'm missing in that logic? Newbie to SW for please forgive my ignorance."
To answer that question, it would depend on the flow rate of your return pump. If it pushed to much water into the DT it would overflow from the DT. If it's the other way around then the sump might overflow.I may be wrong in this logic,but that's why I call it a hobby...it's a learning thing.......
It definitely is a learning experience. I calculated for both flow into the DT and from the DT into the sump to make sure the capacity was there on case of a power failure or a siphon failure.

Back
Top Bottom