Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Finished my DIY Sump/Refugium. Need some feedback

Hi Guys
I've decided to install a sump/refugium for my 120 and just finished building it and would like your opinions on where it could be improved if needed. I used a 30 gallon tank because it is the only thing that will fit in the stand, the left compartment is the refugium, the middle is the return with a media shelf and the right side is the feed with enough room for an in sump skimmer. Here are two pics let me know what you all think. Thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

OK Keith it looks pretty darn good. If mine ever goes bad I know who to build me one now. Great Job.
One question, Which side will the water come in or will it be both sides?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
OK Keith it looks pretty darn good. If mine ever goes bad I know who to build me one now. Great Job.
One question, Which side will the water come in or will it be both sides?
Thanks Mike. It's going to come in on both sides via 1" PVC with a T and a valve on each side so I can regulate the flow rates into each side. I'm thinking a slower rate in the fuge and a higher rate on the skimmer side. I plan on using a Quiet one 2200 pump which will give me about 375 gph at 4.5' head.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking the same as Mike. If the water only came in on one side it would never be able to reach the other side.
If you end up doing a chiller you would have to go bigger on the return pump.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm planning on running both my canister and sump thingy then running the return from the canister through the chiller when I get one, it's output is about 450gph.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

with the pump in the middle, and the baffles being at different heights, the flow from each side to the pump will not be even, rendering whatever you put on the (left) side much less effective than if you went with the regular design. with the water flowing in only one direction, you are guranteed a proper cycle through the sump w/o deadspots.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodon king View Post
with the pump in the middle, and the baffles being at different heights, the flow from each side to the pump will not be even, rendering whatever you put on the (left) side much less effective than if you went with the regular design. with the water flowing in only one direction, you are guranteed a proper cycle through the sump w/o deadspots.
That was the whole idea, I want a slower flow rate thru the refugium where the microalgae is going to reside while the flow rate is going to be faster through the skimmer section. Note, the flow rates will be fully adjustable via each valve, one on the skimmer side and the other on the fuge side.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
I'm planning on running both my canister and sump thingy then running the return from the canister through the chiller when I get one, it's output is about 450gph.
I read on another site of a guy running his chiller off his canister and when he had to clean the canister he could not stop the back flow and flooded his livingroom. So you would need to have a checkvalve to stop the syphonning action. When it comes to plumbing a chiller simple is best.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
I read on another site of a guy running his chiller off his canister and when he had to clean the canister he could not stop the back flow and flooded his livingroom. So you would need to have a checkvalve to stop the syphonning action. When it comes to plumbing a chiller simple is best.
Good info TC. My canister has 2 intakes and 1 return connected through a manifold that closes off all 3 hoses before it can be removed from the canister so I'm not quite sure how how a back flow would start, the sump and canister are going to run independently from one another. Definitely some food for thought though, I'll have to draw it out later and see if I can find this potential back flow problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It holds water and doesn't leak

Here are a few pics of it filled with water. Thank god, all chambers are water tight. I know it's not to exciting but it sure did amuse me with all of the different water levels. I'm hoping to have it up and running by the weekend, i need to get to lowes for some PVC.

Tags
diy, diy sump, refugium, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com