First attempt at HOB refugium. Recomendations and comments very appreciated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this will be my first refugium ever. It will be for my 35 gallon tank. Im not relying on it so much as filtration goes but more for a safe copepode home. I found a betta aquarium that was a half gallon at Walmart for 5 bucks. I took the pump out of an old whisper filter I had and drilled a hole in the bottom to place it as u can see in the pic. It came with a divider as well which I used to keep particles and charting algae out of the impeller. I drilled holes in the top pary of this divider. I then cut out a small section of the tank where i thought the output should be. I used a small piece of acrylic to cut 2 triangles and 1 rectangle to make the pour spout. I'm gonna use the same methods as the filter used but with more room. I have carefully and evenly sanded the impeller blades to lower the flow. Seems feasible in my head but I haven't seen plans quite like this. Kindof make-shift but a lot cheaper than buying on premade. I guess I have 15 bucks in it so far! Still need to figure out a secure way to hang it on my tank and I will put a small screen of sorts to cover the out flow so I don't loose any algae into my tank. Besides that just a light for the charts ball. I'm open to any ideas and would appreciate comments as well. I plan on updating this project as well. Thanks in advance. =)

ForumRunner_20120612_201621.jpg

ForumRunner_20120612_201638.jpg

Nice. Looks like it would have made things easier but I've just about got mine done. Water tested and had a little leak where the pump was. I've also added two hooks to attach it to the tank and an extra peice of acrylic to lengthen the pour spout. I'm working on braces to even andcl support it to the tank. Ill update pics of how it is so far

I would worry that filling down the impeller blades, while it may reduce flow, it may also increase speed.

Not trying to be a ninja, sorry :p but You could have just wired a light dimmer,

Cool idea though, I like it.

Yea I hear that that's really bad on the motor though. But filing the ends off the improper can be bad too. It will be ready for testing today. Fingers crossed!

So I've tested it today. No leaks but it seems I have VERY little flow. Might have messes up the impeller but it ran fine. Just a very slow pour. How low is too low for a refugium?? Here's a pic of it running...

ForumRunner_20120614_190859.jpg

Well its been running all night and all is well. The flow has increased significantly. Here's a pic of it running now. Still not exactly how I'm gonna have it yet. Does this look like too much flow??

ForumRunner_20120615_082614.jpg

ForumRunner_20120615_082634.jpg

Well I calculated the flow using a gallon jug and it seems to be putting out around 45-50 gph. Im considering this to be a success! =) Here's the pics of it on my tank. Completed.

ForumRunner_20120615_215226.jpg

ForumRunner_20120615_214948.jpg

ForumRunner_20120615_214230.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120615_214216.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120615_214216.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 155
  • ForumRunner_20120615_215033.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120615_215033.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 165
Didn't mean to post the 2 pics twice. I may also put some live rock pebbles in the chamber where the intake is. Any ideas on that? Thanks.

Live rock rubble would be a great addition. That is a super sweet DIY hob refugium. If you think the flow is too much you can always get a ball valve to put on the pump return line. Also the metal screws will probably corrode. Could you get some nylon screws instead?

Thanks. Yea I could but I siliconed the back of all the screws pretty good so I shouldn't have any corrosion hopefully. I was thinking LR rubble... just don't want anything getting into the improper.

And the ball valve is an excellent idea that someone else told me about after I filed the impeller down. But hey u learn something everyday.

Could you guard the impeller with a screen of some sort or eggcrate or some other DIY guard?

Thanks everyone. There's a million ways to make them cheaply. Yea I'm gonna use some of that plastic off of a HOB filter pad like I did on the water return.

I'm curious as to these diy refugium how beneficial they are. I was looking to turn my extra AC filter into one but i'm new to this and don't see a small area like that being that beneficial.

Well they can be very benificial. The smaller ones not so much. If u choose to put a small ball of chaeto algea in it it will help clean the water by feeding. Plus they make a great safe harbor for copepodrd which also eat detrius and other foods. Send me a pic of ur filter. I'm sure something great can be done with it!

Back
Top Bottom