Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

First DIY stand build

I will be doing my first stand build for a new 40 breeder, the design wont be anything special, just your top and bottom frames with 6 support legs.

I don'y plan on any sidings either since this tank lives in the garage.
Not sure whether to put a finish on the wood to protect from moisture though, any recommendations on what would be the easiest to seal the wood (2x4's)

Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This might be out off topic, just throwing in my 2 cents... I started building a stand for the 40 breeder and halfway through the build I discovered the Brooklyn stand at a nearby Petco regularly selling for around 50 bucks on sale for much less.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase, clean looking, strong and room for another tank on the bottom.
Again, this might not be what you want at this time but the money and work I saved were enough for me to decide on it.
As for your question...
I have used deck sealer on previous diy stands that I happened to have left over after I did my deck, water slides and beads off of it.
Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpi View Post
This might be out off topic, just throwing in my 2 cents... I started building a stand for the 40 breeder and halfway through the build I discovered the Brooklyn stand at a nearby Petco regularly selling for around 50 bucks on sale for much less.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase, clean looking, strong and room for another tank on the bottom.
Again, this might not be what you want at this time but the money and work I saved were enough for me to decide on it.
As for your question...
I have used deck sealer on previous diy stands that I happened to have left over after I did my deck, water slides and beads off of it.
Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I have the Brooklyn stand for my 55g and I do like it, it's probably the best stand on the market in terms of price and quality. However I wanted to try my hand at making one myself. Also the fact that I got the wood today and the screws for less than $20 saves me about $20, I'm also broke and it's a stretch to even buy the stuff for the DIY stand but this hobby is an addiction that must be fed!

I figured some kind of outdoor wood treatment would be the obvious choice to waterproof the stand.
I also just learned that the 2x4 I bought is actually 1.5x3.5, I randomly measured it after the first cut and am glad I did or I would have screwed up the sizes of the frame.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stand is complete and has a full 40g sitting on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0614.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	287736  
Old 07-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
Looks good! You are far more handy than I. I spent $27 at home depot for mine.... cinder blocks and 2 -8' 2x6's cut in half. I now have a shelf for the plug to sit on. LOL Yours came out much better.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriwin View Post
Looks good! You are far more handy than I. I spent $27 at home depot for mine.... cinder blocks and 2 -8' 2x6's cut in half. I now have a shelf for the plug to sit on. LOL Yours came out much better.
Yours sounds much more desirable to build, I have no power tools or a work bench so it was a lot of effort for a DIY noob, I enjoyed it though and I like having something that I built to be proud of.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks good . I would put another cross brace on the right side like the one on the left . I am an over builder though...lol
Old 07-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
Looks good . I would put another cross brace on the right side like the one on the left . I am an over builder though...lol
Honestly I planned to have 8 vert supports instead of just 4, but I was sick of sawing wood, It just happened that i had a cut of that worked for a cross on that side, I may do one on the other side at some point. It doesn't need it but over engineering like you said.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow, this is looking dope! you did a great job! I'm not as good as you are
Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice job! I'm starting my DIY stand for my 55 gallon planted aquarium. Follow along here!
JonoDatInvento's First DIY Stand: 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Stand
Don't know if mine is gonna be as good as yours.

And I'm going to be using pressure treated wood that's weatherproof. Maybe use this because It'll be "outside".

Tags
build, diy, diy stand, stand, stand build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com