First DIY stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanB80TTS

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be doing my first stand build for a new 40 breeder, the design wont be anything special, just your top and bottom frames with 6 support legs.

I don'y plan on any sidings either since this tank lives in the garage.
Not sure whether to put a finish on the wood to protect from moisture though, any recommendations on what would be the easiest to seal the wood (2x4's)

This might be out off topic, just throwing in my 2 cents... I started building a stand for the 40 breeder and halfway through the build I discovered the Brooklyn stand at a nearby Petco regularly selling for around 50 bucks on sale for much less.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase, clean looking, strong and room for another tank on the bottom.
Again, this might not be what you want at this time but the money and work I saved were enough for me to decide on it.
As for your question...
I have used deck sealer on previous diy stands that I happened to have left over after I did my deck, water slides and beads off of it.
Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This might be out off topic, just throwing in my 2 cents... I started building a stand for the 40 breeder and halfway through the build I discovered the Brooklyn stand at a nearby Petco regularly selling for around 50 bucks on sale for much less.
I couldn't be happier with the purchase, clean looking, strong and room for another tank on the bottom.
Again, this might not be what you want at this time but the money and work I saved were enough for me to decide on it.
As for your question...
I have used deck sealer on previous diy stands that I happened to have left over after I did my deck, water slides and beads off of it.
Good luck with your project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the Brooklyn stand for my 55g and I do like it, it's probably the best stand on the market in terms of price and quality. However I wanted to try my hand at making one myself. Also the fact that I got the wood today and the screws for less than $20 saves me about $20, I'm also broke and it's a stretch to even buy the stuff for the DIY stand but this hobby is an addiction that must be fed!

I figured some kind of outdoor wood treatment would be the obvious choice to waterproof the stand.
I also just learned that the 2x4 I bought is actually 1.5x3.5, I randomly measured it after the first cut and am glad I did or I would have screwed up the sizes of the frame.

Stand is complete and has a full 40g sitting on it.

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 137
Looks good! You are far more handy than I. I spent $27 at home depot for mine.... cinder blocks and 2 -8' 2x6's cut in half. I now have a shelf for the plug to sit on. LOL Yours came out much better. ;)

Looks good! You are far more handy than I. I spent $27 at home depot for mine.... cinder blocks and 2 -8' 2x6's cut in half. I now have a shelf for the plug to sit on. LOL Yours came out much better. ;)

Yours sounds much more desirable to build, I have no power tools or a work bench so it was a lot of effort for a DIY noob, I enjoyed it though and I like having something that I built to be proud of.

Looks good . I would put another cross brace on the right side like the one on the left . I am an over builder though...lol

Looks good . I would put another cross brace on the right side like the one on the left . I am an over builder though...lol

Honestly I planned to have 8 vert supports instead of just 4, but I was sick of sawing wood, It just happened that i had a cut of that worked for a cross on that side, I may do one on the other side at some point. It doesn't need it but over engineering like you said.

Wow, this is looking dope! you did a great job! I'm not as good as you are :D

Back
Top Bottom