Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

First sump filter questions

I have just recently purchased a 125 gallon aquarium that I am going to put my oscar in and a few other fish. I currently have a 90 gallon aquarium with my oscar and a large common pleco. On that tank I use two eheim 2217's and a couple of power heads with prefilter foam on the intakes. I am going to have those filters on the new tank but would like to add another filter to the new tank. I have a 29 gallon tank that I would like to convert into a sump filter but I have never done or seen a sump filter first hand. I am handy and I get the basics but more research never hurts. Here is a drawing of what I am thinking. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I am all ears. Also I have no interest in a refugium. Just want the filter to be a filter. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	245033  

Old 08-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Re design and other thoughts

So here is a redesign of my filter. I am planning on having mainly mechanical filtration in the first chamber. I have several chambers in this filter so that I can rinse each chamber a week or so apart from each other, when cleaning is needed, so that I do not crash the tank. I did have another question though for anyone out there. I have read a lot about a wet dry filter because it gives sufficient oxygen to the bacteria. Instead of having the tower and trickle system I were to just put an air stone in the first chamber? I feel that any bubbles would "pop" before they get to the pump. I am also thinking of a few things for my media. In the first chamber I am thinking varying densities of filter pads. In the next four chambers I will have some sort of bio media. I am thinking lava rock or crushed unglazed pottery. I am a potter and have a ton of bisque fired pottery around. In the last media chamber I am going to put maybe carbon or other chemical filtration. In the pump chamber I will put my heaters and the pump obviously. The heaters are not going to be placed that high in the last chamber I just sketch them in real quick. My first design I had the walls way to high and I think if I had a power outage I would have a lot of water on the floor. I am now planning on using a 55 gallon aquarium for my sump and having my water level in that tank at about 5/8ths full. That leaves about 20-25 gallons of free space in the tank. If my calculation are correct that should be plenty. I am planning on starting the build for this filter this week or next week. If anyone has any advice on design I am all ears.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whoops here is the redesign photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new sump.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	245592  

Tags
filter, question, questions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com