Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2005, 12:47 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I loved your ingenuity in converting thrift store finds into a cool tank. Plus all the tinkering must be giving you hours of enjoyment. <I personally love tinkering & improvising, much more fun than just spending oodles of money & having everything ready-made!>

I don't know if a wet/dry will be useful. With the low bioload, you prob. have enough surface area with all your filter sponges. OTOH, it is kinda fun trying to devise a wet/dry with common household objects.... so you might just as well go for it!

BTW, I don't know if this applies ... your low flow rate is due to pump having to get water uphill? If so, you may increase the pump output by decreasing the head pressure. Suppose you have the water return routed all the way to the bottom of the top tank. The siphoning action in that section of the tubing should decrease the head pressure & improve the flow .... <Note - you would have to drill a hole just below the water line as a siphon break in case of pump failure to prevent emptying the top tank>. I haven't tried that myself to see if that would work .... but I am thinking about seting it up. Just another thing for you to think about.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

one thing you might be able to do to combat your temperature issue would be to remove the coverings on the sump. The top appears covered in the pics. This added ventalation might help a little. May also increase evaporation so be prepared for that.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

jsoong, ~36gph per 3 trials (1g jug) with your suggestion! New siphon break only dumps a couple of inches of water into the sump per 3 trials. I love tinkering too. My dad used to say, "Only the things you've built are really yours." Of course, I'm only building by borrowing other pople's ideas... will play with wet/dry again this weekend.

BillyZ, will do. I'll post temps after experimenting.

Thanks!

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

~74-76F. I'm using a small fan when lights are on. Thanks, BillyZ!

Wet/dry progress isn't exciting, and since nitrates are still not registering I don't know how to test effectiveness. Added F and M cherry barb. (Stocking in the main tank is done. It's lively!) Now rock is over the eggcrate in the sump. Will post new pics soon.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 01-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

After I figure out what I'm doing here, I'll silicone the rocks in place for easy clean-up (false bottom comes out easily).

You can kind of see my weak wet/dry attempt. I'm trying to balance space and filtration. Dunno.

Still can't tag full system pic...

Thanks again

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 01-29-2005, 12:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Love that tank!
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:26 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks, Pat. I wish I had a 20 long as a sump, like yours

Update: Haven't done much. Siliconed rocks to false bottom. Clean up crew are rainbow and ghost feeder shrimp. False bottom has been raised a couple of inches with PVC L-pipes for the shrimp. Light is a 50w "plant grow" screw-in -- just experimenting.

The Anubias on the right has grown new leaves, despite no substrate. Kind of interesting.

Full system pic: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...k&sump0130.jpg

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck, I built an overflow box and it took 3 months to get it from 10 gph up to about 500 gph. Lots of tweaking. I still want more though, my return pump is rated at 800 gph so I have to keep it turned way down, bummer.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

No new progress but here's an updated pic

Moved a lot of anacharis from the main tank to the sump. Many baby neocaridina shrimp live in here. Went back to CFL.

Full pic:
I've been looking at a few small pond/waterfall pumps to get sump's gph higher, but haven't felt the need to purchase anything yet.

Adapted HOB intake so current in the main tank goes from right to left. When sump power is pulled, it doubles as a somewhat effective surface skimmer.

Nitrates are still <5 (undetectable on test), but have been dosing to ~10ppm to reduce the algae that appeared after adding sump. Seems to be working.

I'll update in the future if anything exciting happens, and new ideas are appreciated. Thanks again.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 02-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Tried to condense some of this info if anyone is considering building a similar setup: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...owto_fuge.html
suggestions for making it better/easier to understand/etc are appreciated.

wet.biggiantnerds.com

Tags
suggestions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com