Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2005, 12:49 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

First sump (fw)/suggestions appreciated

Drilled my 7g vintage metal-framed tank following these instructions. Minor scratches but no cracks. Glass will not bear the weight of piping:

I find DIY interesting and want to increase the stability of my small tank, and so planned on making a sump with a 12g bucket (info/how-tos in the archives here are incredible. can't say it enough). Here's where it gets interesting. Today I stopped by a thrift store, the same one I bought my metal-framed tank from. I hoped to find a container I could sterilize/adapt to a wet/dry canister. I left with this (haggled the price from $15 to $12):

It's a wood frame around an (included, needs to be resealed) 10g tank. Its so incredibly awesome. The wood is beat-up and the aquarium glass is scratched... still:

Will it be a sump to the metal-framed tank, making a visually awesome retro set-up? Will it be the paludarium I wished for the family's 20 long was? Will it be both? I thought one cool vintage tank, with hood, for ~ $10 would be my greatest thrift store find ever, but two? Same store? This is ridiculous.

Also got a used Penguin 660 170gph powerhead from LFS for $16 a couple of days ago. Aquariums are so &*%$^@ cool.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Those are some pretty wild tanks!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's Great! My Wife would kill me for bringing home any new tank, But good for you. Please post pics when your plans come to reality!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:28 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My Wife would kill me for bringing home any new tank...
Yeah... these tanks live in a converted garage (my bunker) I hope to have a functional wet/dry sump and a false bottom by the end of the holiday and will post pics. I can't get over the new tank.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 01-17-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Pics in progress. Maybe this belongs in DIY? I think I understand the howto part from the archives...

Experimenting with false bottom. Unfortunately sump only moves ~21gph per 3 trials with a 1g jug, so for now paludarium is probably out of the picture. Will get a nw pump when the PH mentioned before fails. Return is on the right.

Floating anacharis and hornwort trimmings. Only using filter floss in the "canister" and ditched wet/dry (not enough water moved, too loud).

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../tank&sump.jpg - I can't link to this pic for some reason, but please click the link if interested.
Haven't decided what to use to block the overflow yet. Left 100gph HOB in the main tank.

Please excuse the mess in these in-progress pics. Learning - we'll see where it goes. I'm picking up a third otto soon Maybe two cherry barbs...

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 01-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

suggestions appreciated, by the way. As is a move of the thread to diy, if the advisors feel I misplaced this thread

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 01-20-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I want a tank like that !!!! :|
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'll move the thread so you get more suggestions.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

nifty! The first couple of pictures don't really suggest a scale.. the first thing I thought was "What an AWESOME coffee table!" heh... a bit small i suppose... but that'd make a nifty lill DIY project... 40G coffeetable, encased like your sump is...
Old 01-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks Menagerie! I changed the title.

BillyZ, and the 40g is aquascaped for someone looking down into the tank? That'd be sweeeeet.

Update:
For the bulkhead, I'm now using a 90deg elbow with slits to skim the surface. Black pantyhose covers the return outlet. In the sump's plastic canister, there is open celled foam below the filterfloss. Flow rate is up to ~25gph after taking apart the powerhead and putting it back together (? - wasn't dirty but cleaned a little). I've added a prefilter to the return pump since I'm planning on a shrimp clean-up crew in the sump.

Nitrates aren't registering on my test and I think I've seen an increase in algae, so must dose nitrates (I think).

Because of increased water volume I added to the kuhlii loach and oto group. I think they like the company.

Issues:
Temp increased to 78F with the heater unplugged and sump lights (13w) off. The PH is submerged -- I guess I'm overheating the thing. Temp before sump was 74F with a 50w heater. Any suggestions? Low RPM fans (low noise is important) above the sump? Would you just buy a proper submersible pump instead of fiddling with a more powerfull powerhead?

CO2 injection at the sump is inefficent, and main tank's plants stopped pearling. Returned Hagen bubble ladder to main tank. Water in the sump is almost still. Is this likely due to CO2 absorbed in the return piping?

Thoughts on filtration are especially appreciated. I'm still considering wet/dry, but wonder if its worth the trouble with very low flow rate and a small tank.

Thanks.

wet.biggiantnerds.com

Tags
suggestions, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com