Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fish room & humidity problem

What do people do to control humidity in their fish room or fish area?

I'm looking to try and reduce the humidity in my fish area. It's not quite a room - it's a large section of an unfinished basement.

I have a dehumidifier running and a decent circulating fan on the other side of the basement. However, as my fish tanks have grown (size and number..), so has the humidity increased.

I was thinking about hooking up an exhaust fan, similar to what is in your typical bathroom setup. Since it's in the basement I thought I would try and use the same exhaust duct as the clothes dryer.

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions? (Besides reducing the number of fish tanks.. )

Anyone see potential problems or pitfalls with my solution?

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do not use the same vent as the dryer. That needs to be a dedicated exhaust due to the heat issues. You don't want to restrict the exhaust from a dryer with another fan.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A dedicated bathroom exhaust fan would work well but I would think there would be a noise issue. If you go that route, I would research and find a quite one.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tight fitting lids on the aquariums help minimise the evaporation of water in the tanks. I am not referring to air tight lids like jars but instead unnecessary cut outs for filters that are no longer there and such.
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a 50lb sack of silica gel? 8O

An exhaust fan would work I would think. It would work even better if you could get the inlet to the exhaust fan about a foot off the floor. Try using some duct material or something....you should be able to make something work without looking too ugly.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Humidity decreases the Density of air. If you go the vent route put the intake close to the ceiling. Also do not tie into the dryer line. Doing so will encourage lint to build up within the line and increase your chances of a fire.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have been looking at the same thing. My fish room is under my stairs to my basement and is basically a long narrow closet. I wish I would have thought about it before I finished the basement

I have looked at some fans at HD. They list decibel levels so you can kind of tell how loud they will be. Since mine is in a separate room noise is not a huge concern for me. I thought of just getting a cheap one but if it runs 24/7 I doubt the lifespan will be very long. Might spend a bit more to get a continous use fan.

I have vent duct in a adjacent exhaust fan for my basement bathroom. I will most likely tie into this. The bathroom does not get used much anyway.

It is on my to do list 8)
Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #8

Hummm......I live in the dry desert SW. I do backflips when the humidity rises.

As mentioned. Don't tie into your dryer exhaust. Is there a window in your basement you could use by placing a fan to vent?

In the winter you could use a small electric heater to help dry the air. Summer's this would obviously be impractical.

How big is the basement? If its really big it would take a very large dehumitifier.

Maybe you could throw a wall up, makeing your fish room smaller. Thus increasing the benefits of a dehumidifier. Toss in a ventilation system and it might work. A faux wall really isnt that hard to construct.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Window Air conditioners also de-humidify very well. You probably dont have a window though, or do ya? I would imagine exhausting a fan would be easier had you a window.

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com