Fish room build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
First I would like to thank my parents for letting me take over their garage for my fish room.
Second the room will come together slowly as I get my paychecks
Third enjoy the show...

Ok my parents have agreed to let me use a 11 feet long by 6 feet tall, by 2 1/2 feet deep of the garage for my fish room, and I plan on taking over even more! I will have pics up tomorrow. My basic plan at least for now is
6-8 10 gallon tanks
6-8 20 gallon high tanks
6-8 20 gallon long tanks
1-3 29 gallon tanks
3-4 55 gallon tanks
Not all the tanks will fit in the area that I just told you about, but this is my finished gameplan
Right now I have 3-4 of the 10 gallon tanks
3 of the 20 gallon tall tanks
1 20 gallon long tank
1 29 gallon tank
0 55 gallon tanks

I plan to breed a anything from apistos, to Red Crystal shrimp and everything In between. I will put pics of the areas, and tank up soon. The whole room will be powered by neither a linear piston air pump, or a coralife lift pump. My mom said no regenerative blowers. Lol. I will also have plants galore in most of my tanks. All the tanks will run on sponge filters, and will have at least some java moss and of hornwort in them. The room will definitely not be as big as harpua's but ill take it since I'm only 15. Stay tuned

You're crazy, I like crazy! I like you Haha. Garage huh? That's perfect because you don't have to worry about your mom freaking about spilling water on the floor. What's your plan for all these fish? You selling or hoarding??

Both :) I plant to use them for BAP at my club but I have I raise the fry to at least like (60) days old (pretty sure) and I will sell down of them. Yes exactly I can just drain the water into the street.

Both :) I plant to use them for BAP at my club but I have I raise the fry to at least like (60) days old (pretty sure) and I will sell down of them. Yes exactly I can just drain the water into the street.
Bap? Aww man I wish I could drain to the street, I often think of just going out the window of my 3rd floor apt, than again the couple times I sucked a fish up by accident. Mehhhh buckets it is...

Breeder award program. It is basically a file of all the species that you've breed, and younger points based on how difficult the species is to breed, an after you hit milestones you get a plaque.

Breeder award program. It is basically a file of all the species that you've breed, and younger points based on how difficult the species is to breed, an after you hit milestones you get a plaque.
Sweet! So far I have bred panchax but that's not saying much.

ya there have been some people that have talked at our club about fish that they or other people have bred, and some of them I thought you couldn't breed. lol

Sounds like a great plan. 1 potential problem tho, Temperature! Depending on where you live, it can get either too hot or too cold in a garage ( I know this from personal experience ;) ) You would need to either insulate the garage or create a walled off area that can be insulated or use A/C to cool so to keep the temps from killing your fish or preventing them from breeding. Too hot will stop some fish from spawning just as too cold will.
Good luck with the project. Keep us posted with pics ;)

oh yes I did think of this.... i live in georgia so heat would be the big thing, i I have had a thermometer in the garage all winter, and the coldest it got was 69-71 when we had the 7 degree weather, but that is so uncommon here in georgia, and i can always crank the tank heaters, and space heaters up to help combat it. as far as heat goes it can get 78-80 in the garage, but that is only on the 100 degree days, and i will have the AC on full blast, and it will take X amount of time for the tanks to get that hot because it still gets around 70-75 at night, and the garage will stay around 70-78 all summer. good point though

I have a question for all you people who own fish rooms. what do you use as lighting for the tanks? because I'm thinking about just buying ballasts from home depot for my non planted tanks

I have a question for all you people who own fish rooms. what do you use as lighting for the tanks? because I'm thinking about just buying ballasts from home depot for my non planted tanks

I just use overhead shop lights as I'm only dealing with fish, no plants. I position them in between the tank rows so as to have light in the walkways but "diffused" light for the fish. I found this makes them more amiable to spawning.

Hope this helps (y)

Home Depot has a nice 48" quad t5 ho, you just need to know a bit about wiring..

The racks will hold a total of 29 tanks
Including 9 10 gallon fry/plant tanks
10 20 gallon long tanks for grown out/breeding smaller species
4 20 gallon tall tanks for angels/grow out
4 55 gallon tanks for breeding large fish, and sell tanks
2 29 gallon tanks for angels fry.

here is a detailed idea of whats going in the tanks

10 gallon tank #1 colony of cherry shrimp
10 gallon tank #2 pair of kribs
10 gallon tank #3 krib fry tank
10 gallon tank #4 cory breeding colony ( should i make this a 20?)
10 gallon tank #5 cory fry tank
10 gallon tank #6 guppy fry/breeding tank
10 gallon tank #7 endler fry/breeding tank
10 gallon tank #8 plant tank with some guppies/ maybe a QT
10 gallon tank #9 QT

20 gallon long #1; some sort of apisto breeding tank
20 gallon long 2; apisto fry tank
20 gallon long #3 shell spawner breeding tank, could i swap these with the cory cats?
20 gallon long #4 another apisto tank, but fry will go with the other fry tank
20 gallon long #5 shell fry tank
20 gallon long #6 grow out/sell tank for kribs/cory
20 gallon long #7 grow out/sell tank for all apistos
20 gallon long #8 grow out/sell tank for shell dwellers
20 gallon long #9 breeding, and fry tank for zebras danios
20 gallon long #10 grow out/sell tank for zebra danios

20 tall tank #1: breeding tank for angel fish
20 tall tank #2: breeding tank for angel fish
20 tall tank #3: fry tank for all angelfish babies
20 tall tank #4: breeding tank/grow out, and sell tank for platies, this tank will get large water changes, and will be X5-6 filtered

I have a 48 inch shop light from Walmart and it's t8 lighting. I have plants and it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom