Fish room build from scratch. Opinions/advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furryeggs

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is the start of my fish room. so far everything hasn't cost a penny as its stuff that I've had laying around, hence the odd sizes of tanks so far.

3ft 90L will run a hang on back filter (will convert to sump tank when more tanks/racks added) with t8 lighting
2 smaller 19L are drilled from a previous set up and will be running a sump and overflow from startup (roughly 60L total) t8 lighting also.

Here's where your opinions/advice is needed.
1: Racking is made from 75mmx44mm and 44mmx44mm with 19mm mdf (potential over engineering in places) is this going to be sufficient for the weight?

2: I can't make my mind up if I like the 3ft tank on the top or the 2 smaller tanks. It's built and designed to be modular so I can swap different size tanks into the same size space with little hassle, (multiple smaller tanks into larger tank space and vice versa)

Is this going to work???

image-811249737.jpg

Attachments

• image-2097918522.jpg
    image-2097918522.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 405
  • image-379615411.jpg
    image-379615411.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 486
  • image-932531044.jpg
    image-932531044.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 493
Nice start (especially since its not costing you a dime). I would go with the 1 longer tank but whatever you choose, just make sure it is 100% completely level. Shims work very well if you need to adjust.

Good luck, keep us updated.

I like it when the bigger tank is on top at eye level.

Yep bigger one on top look at my setup might given some ideas

only thing i see with it is i see braces on front to back but none from side to side on the bottom legs. with that much weight i would put atleast one on front or back side.

I have added 2 more support legs to the bottom middle to help. I'm a little worried about it being top heavy though. At the moment there isn't any fixings to the wall for added support but I think that'll be the next job.

good idea.i had 3- 30 gallons on the bottom and then 2 55s middle level and 6 10s on top. all the frame was braced to studs in the wall with L brackets.

It likely will hold your tanks with no issues but overall your design would not be used to hold my tanks in my house. With regards to sheer forces and overall design you have several issues. You might be better served buying a Gorilla Rack or similar from the big box home stores.

Consider putting 4x4's on the legs to strengthen the build. I use 4x4's for all my builds as they are pretty much indestructible. Cheap paneling stained a nice color can make them more appealing to the eye

image-224383730.jpg

Fish room update... It's going a little slow at the minute as I've been side tracked fitting a new bathroom. however i have managed to get 4 wall brackets fitted to add support and 2 additional legs. Hopefully this should now be able to cope better with the weight.

Ive also started cladding the front and making doors, all of which will be painted either white or black???

more updates... slow bathroom day so i managed to get the 2 smaller tanks overflow and spray bar return knocked up out of a few bits of old mini filter pipe and 90 degree bends/flow adjustment. It's all tested at 60cm head height and working wonderfully.

image-2155496216.jpg

image-745289205.jpg

I used 3x2 legs and 1 3/4x 1 1/2 cross braces on one of my stands.

It holds a 120litre 1metre by 35x35 and above the same, the first one I built had thinner legs and more weight. Held up until I took it down, No troubles, just fix it back to the wall if it's brick no problem, if it's plasterboard make sure you pick up the stud.

Level up by slips under the legs, again no problems. Good luck.

I found that no matter what way the tanks were arranged, compromise was needed. Do you want a perfect display viewpoint or lots of tanks?

I went with lots of tanks. That looks good, what fish are you keeping?

The joint between the two timbers is most important for weight bearing, if you fit bathrooms you must know a chippy. Have a chat with one at tea break.

Been a little lazy of late with my fish room but have had a weekend of free acquisitions.

1: been given yet another tank (25g)
2: managed to raid a skip at my mums house that the builders have left full over the weekend. 15m of 4x2, 10m of roofing joists, and roughly 20m of 2x1.
3: been given some air/breeze blocks

Time for a much needed blitz build.

I've had a bit of spare time so i've managed to start on my tank stand redesign. roof joists should do the trick :) I've picked up the studs in the wall to attach it all to and made it long enough for both tanks. i just now have to decide on either enclosing the tanks fully or using separate hoods?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387311842.968058.jpg
start of the new redesign.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387311864.516684.jpg
some more legs added

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387311876.083533.jpg
tanks roughly in place

Had a few more hours in the fish room today.

Got 3 of the 4 tanks blacked out back and sides and have started turning some old pallets into a hood.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390154424.012991.jpg

Wow. This looks great! Keep us updated and I really can't wait to see the room when it's completely done =]

Almost finished with the hoods, started running out of pallets. A little sanding to match the colours up a bit and it should look ok???

At least i have managed to get the lights in.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391206291.361696.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391206318.191419.jpg

Back
Top Bottom