Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlboyce
This is SUCH a cool idea. I wish I lived in a house where I could do this--living with two male renters makes for some wild nights and I'm pretty sure my fishies wouldn't appreciate ending up vibrating all night long. ^_^;;
Ya. All the DIY coffee tables are tempting. But I am one of three recently college graduate dudes living in my apt. We now have such decor as a large tv, box and a beer pong table. And my tanks. And trays about it... I am wryd to put a tank on ground... One day, when I grow up, I'll do it...

Old 11-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm still mid-setup on one tank so this is just a 'someday' sort of idea, but I've come across a few FW stingrays in my fish store lurking and they are just so cool. I did a little research on them and found that they really need a lot of floor space (makes sense). Maybe sometime down the line I'll think about making a DIY coffeetable or somesuch with an appropriate footprint for one or two of them. Seems like a good application, especially since looking down at them from the top is a good way to observe them.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
I'm still mid-setup on one tank so this is just a 'someday' sort of idea, but I've come across a few FW stingrays in my fish store lurking and they are just so cool. I did a little research on them and found that they really need a lot of floor space (makes sense). Maybe sometime down the line I'll think about making a DIY coffeetable or somesuch with an appropriate footprint for one or two of them. Seems like a good application, especially since looking down at them from the top is a good way to observe them.
yeah my husband and i love to watch them when we're sitting on the sofa. the viewing angle is best in a sitting position so i would say that might be one disadvantage to the coffee table concept although when we have friends over we all sit in the family room and watch the fish. i think the real advantage is the length of swimming area. my fish never fight or get aggressive because they have so much horozontal swimming area.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
This is SUCH a cool idea. I wish I lived in a house where I could do this--living with two male renters makes for some wild nights and I'm pretty sure my fishies wouldn't appreciate ending up vibrating all night long. ^_^;;
riboyce it might just be the way i read that, but it sounded like u partake in threesomes with the 2 guys on the coffee table. no offense or anything
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem713
riboyce it might just be the way i read that, but it sounded like u partake in threesomes with the 2 guys on the coffee table. no offense or anything
That made me laugh so much lol
Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpowell1989

That made me laugh so much lol
Best off topic ever
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has anyone ever tried to make a reef fish tank or saltwater coffee table?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx
Has anyone ever tried to make a reef fish tank or saltwater coffee table?
Not to my knowledge. The biggest issue would again be equipment hiding.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are handy you can make a chamber in the middle of the tank like what is on a biocube type tank for a filter, it would also hold the heater and maybe some type of skimmer. The lights could be led with a little engineering you could have it go all the way around the outside and be tipped int towards the inside of the tank. A 40 gallon breeder would be about the right size. In the base you would have a power stripe like this American DJ - AC Power Center - PC-100A All the cords could be hidden with a little work. Cleaning changing the water it would probably be best using a cheap power head to pump the water out of the tank. Yes I have have thought this through. If I could just convince my son to help with the thing. You would want to be able to get a great view from the top down so things like duncan, and frogspawn would probably look better than sps.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to rlboyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem713 View Post
o_O;; Er...definitely not. Especially considering my roommates are both gay. I just meant that since my living room is connected to my dining room there is a ton of foot traffic and such.

But no worries...I laughed reading this.

23 gallons, Aqueon QuietFlow 30, 5 Rasboras (Hank, Dale, Bill, Boomhoward, & Khan), 1 Cory (Inception--pictured in avatar)
rlboyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com