Fish Tank Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcgee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, two simple questions.

First, I just made a cover for my 10 gallon FW tank out of plexi-glass. It covers everything except for the HOB filter and Heater. I now notice that there is lots of condensation on the glass. My question is: Does there need to be venting holes? The holes for the filter and heater are cut pretty close. So basically there is no escaping for the water.

Second, I am also in the process of setting up a 55 gallon for cichlids and I am going to make a canopy for that. Do I really need the Plexi-glass top? Because I plan on doing the same thing for the 55 gallon as I did for the 10 gallon.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

well most of the oxygen transfer takes place at the surface so you'll want to have some vents for air to circulate.

I don't think you need to have a full plexi lid. I would look for some eggcrate material at HD and use that. This gives you a guard to keep fish in and non-tank objects out, while letting light and air reach your tank. Eggcrate is a grating material often used in light fixutres. See here for a sample pic: http://www.albrightplastics.com/louverproducts/eggcratelouvers.htm

btw, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :!: :mrgreen:

Thank you Billyz,
I love the eggcrate idea; however, looking at the picture of the eggcrate brings another concern. I am adding some moonlights for added effect when the regular lights turn off. Would this interfere with those at all? The squares don't seem all that big to let the light through. I know the LED's don't have a very wide angle for their beam of light. Maybe someone has had some success with this?!?!?

btw, I love this forum. tons of reading and tons of great DIY projects I'm gonna get myself into :twisted:

I recently went the plexiglass route for my 30g. I'm not really that happy with the outcome because as the plastic heats up from the lights it has warped slightly, now I don't have a very nice seal around the top of the tank. When I redo it I'm thinking of using glass and wood.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom