Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

k, here we are again, water tested the tank in the garage for 3 days and held fine. moved it back to the room and cleaned the crushed coral, put it in, added my lava rock and filled the tank 1/2 full with new tap water.

heres my question:
since i filled it 1/2 full with new tap water, its gonna have clourine etc in it. Im gonna use the water out of the storage bucket with my fish in it and the other smaller tank. will this be enough old water to keep the fish in the large tank ok? im going to take the FX5 off the bucket and start to let it run in the tank soon. do i need to recycle the tank?

what do u guys think?

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would add a dechlorinator to the water. And when you say "tap water" you mean salt water made from tap right? Oh and Why in the world would silicone not stick to silicon? that makes no sense.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

its a freshwater tank... i believe he just put plain tap in without dechlorinating it...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh i see lol guess i shoulda checked that before hand.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

so jimmy, are you going to dechlorinate the water before you transfer the filter back over? as long as you do, you might see a mini cycle, but you shouldnt have to worry about much more than that as long as the fx5 has had an ammonia source to keep that bacteria alive...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i didnt dechlorinate the water. i went in the room yesterday and found 3 fish died overnight ( i have another post re: water parameters in a forum here which is why i started this project to beguin with) in the bucket. so i started to add tap water into the tank about 1/4 full and took old water from the holding tank and bucket and added it to the tank so now its 1/2 full. removed the FX5 from the bucket, added it to the tank and added a powerhead into the tank to help move the water around for airation. topped up the 2 holding tanks with a lil water.

That was all yesterday, ive read posts about letting water sit for 12 hours and thismorning a added a few fish to see how they did. all is good so far and gonna dump all the water from the other 2 holding tanks into the tank and add the fish.

Tags
seal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com