Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish tank reno and seseal

Lastnight i started a HUGE task of emptying the 72gal, changing the gravel/substrate and resealing 2 of the silicone seals @ the front of the tank.

Got the large Blue buckets from home depot to hold the old substrate, lava rock and for a temporary home for my larger fish. there is a small tank on the floor for the smaller fish. emptied the water from the large tank into the bucket/fish tank, moved the fish and hooked up the filters.

Finished emptying the tank then removed all the substrate. drained the water and cut out the silicone. drank a beer, watched Fringe and went to bed

Got up and started @ it again, cleaned the old silicone off with a razor blade and rubbing Alcohol. Let dry, got out the masking tape, taped up the corners for a nice line up the glass, opened the tube of Silicone and went to work. All was going well except i was not happy with how close I put the masking tape together into the corner so once I siliconed it all i pulled the tape off and "free handed" it. DOH! but whatever, i can live with it.

So now its drying, and i need to clean 100lbs of crushed coral and upload some pics.

ill keep posting and adding pics till the project is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	22409   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	22410  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	22411   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	22412  

Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

heres more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	22413   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	22414  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	22415   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	22416  

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

k now i have a question.

In the DIY forum under "special DIY projects" there is a artical about fixing a leaky tank. it says you can cut out the area that is "leaking" PLUS 3 inches on each side, clean and add new silicone.

Ive always been told to cut out ALL silicone (corners, bottom of tank) because the old silicone will not cure to the old stuff. (not the silicone between the glass, just the nice visual seal not the silicone holding the glass together)

i cut the old silicone out in the spots i needed to fix. the tank was not leaking, just visually did not look nice.

am i in any need to worry about the joint where the old and new silicone meet? (i dont mean the silicone between the glass holding it together)

hope it is explained properly :S
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

imo, it would be best to remove it all and completely redo that joint... not to say it wont work like you're talking about, but its not much more trouble to completely redo it, especially when you look at the peace of mind you'll have not worrying about it leaking

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

"completely redo that joint"

Do you mean entire tank or the 1 seal down the corner as the "joint"
i have done both ft corners from top to 1inch to the bottom, im just wondering if this is ok, or should I redo the entire tank (4 corners and bottom) and if the silicone will stick to the older bottom seal.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

oh yeah, i mean just one corner... i had to do that on one and it worked fine. im sure its preferred to do the whole thing, but as long as you have the whole joint done, you shouldnt have any problems.. may want to add a little extra where it meets the old silicone on the opposing joint though, i took some sand paper and roughed up the two bottom beads that met the corner where i resealed before i siliconed it

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 02-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

SWEET! thanks, yeah ive just been under the impression that if u cut 1 "joint" or corner, the whole tank should be done. i think im gonna move the tank to the garage tomorrow just in case and fill it up. better in the garage than the hardwood floor again.........
Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

very true

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I always see people talk about just redoing one corner or joint.. But at some point that joint or corner meets in to another corner or joint.. Then the problem with silicone not sticking to silicone comes to mind.. Soooo, wouldn't that area then be crummy?

I think you are doing the best by redoing the whole thing.. I didn't trust myself.. So I sold my tank and got another..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, so far the tank is full and in the garage holding water just fine. think tomorrow i will bring it back up and start setting it back up. more pics to follow.

i shoulda done the whole tank again but i bought the tank used from a lfs for 25$ and it had a leaky bottom seal. i cut out the old stuff and sealed it 2 years ago and held just fine. i didnt want to cut it all out again and have the bottom start leaking. i kinda live by the "if its not broken, dont mess with it" rule...

Tags
seal, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com