Fish Tank replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlackMagic

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I got a problem with one of my tank, its a 55 gallon tank.
the middle holder for the hood broke off.

Is there any site or can i replace the whole top? Don't really know what it call but it should be Black or Brown Color.

just look at the pic. u will get a better clear picture of what i meant.

Attachments

• DSC02853.jpg
    DSC02853.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 92
no problem. sorry it took me so long. had a friend on here who had that happen to too. took awhile to find the answer. gl

You can look around, but I don't know there are too many options. By the way, your tank is "Oak" colored.

I'd say $30 is worth the peace of mind. 55g is a lot of water that you wouldn't want on your floor!

If you are going for a new top trim, you had better order from the tank manufacturer, as not all 55s are exactly the same size. Alternatively you can silicone a 3/8" thick piece of glass below the broken piece. As a third option, you can take the bottom trim off and swap with the top. The bottom does not need the brace. Broken braces seem to be a common problem.

If you are going for a new top trim, you had better order from the tank manufacturer, as not all 55s are exactly the same size. Alternatively you can silicone a 3/8" thick piece of glass below the broken piece. As a third option, you can take the bottom trim off and swap with the top. The bottom does not need the brace. Broken braces seem to be a common problem.

i bought the tank off this lady, so dont know which manufacturer made the tank.
as for taking the bottom trim off, i was thinking the same thing too. but its going to be hard trying to pull it off since it stuck to it ...

It has been my experience that they aren't stuck on that well, and with a blade and a little work it should be doable. With the number of braces breaking, i would consider adding the glass piece even with a new piece of trim.

get one if its black just get some chep brown spray paint

I saw another DIY where there were two holes drilled on each side and a replacement brace was connected with nylon bolts.

I have a question since you are asking about a broken piece to a tank. I was wondering if my tank might break apart any time soon because it seems that the glue that holds each glass together is pealing off. It's a 55 gallon too.

I have a question since you are asking about a broken piece to a tank. I was wondering if my tank might break apart any time soon because it seems that the glue that holds each glass together is pealing off. It's a 55 gallon too.
you can reseal it with silicon

There are 2 different applications of silicone in a tank. There is the silicone that holds the tank together (between the panes) and the fillet seam inside the tank that is an insurance against leakage. A properly built tank should hold water without the interior seams.

Back
Top Bottom