Well, I could have left the top open but I felt it would make the overall stand stronger and would give less of a chance of leaning off to one side or the other. The covering you see is 1/8" board that was a 4x8 sheet. I put that on the front as one whole sheet then cut out the door area also to give it some strength for the side-to-side action.
As to the hood, I do have a lfs
that has a lot of stands and hoods. I saw what they did and it gave me a couple good ideas but I'll still end up just fudging something together
I typically over build most things I do... so I'm sure the hood will end up the same. Because of the amount of lighting I have along with all the ferts I put in every day I'm going to be doing something a bit different... I'll post up those when I start!