fitting a 48 inch fixture to a 60 inch tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey guys the title says it all.

getting an unbelievable deal on a 48inch 2x250 watt halide 4x54 watt T5 fixture. and the problem with that is my tank is 60 inchs... now i know the lighting itself will be okay but how do i get the light to sit up there with the legs provided?

Hanging would be my choice. I'm going to be hanging two 2' fixtures over my 6' tank in the next few days. It won't look as mis-fit if you hang it, and you won't have to worry about it falling down in the tank because of the retrofit leg work you'll have to do.

No, it doesn't necessarily have to be from the roof. You can have a fixture essentially making it like a floor lamp.

couldnt i just put a piece of 1 inch glass or 1/2 inch glass the width of the tank across to hold the legs on? an inch of glass would be plenty strong to hold it wouldnt it? or i could use lexan

couldnt i just put a piece of 1 inch glass or 1/2 inch glass the width of the tank across to hold the legs on? an inch of glass would be plenty strong to hold it wouldnt it? or i could use lexan

that one inch of glass would be a pain to move though

id only make it the 2-3 inchs wide. maybe it wouldnt be strong enough?

it would only be 18 inchs... im really crappy with drawing plans and stuff but id run the width of the tank to simulate another ledge

I get what you're saying. Use aluminum L-channel instead of glass. It'll be lighter and less prone to breaking. I'd hate to see that you came home to find the light in the tank because the glass broke.

Back
Top Bottom