Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

this looks so cool! im so following!! xx

Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Painting almost done. Rack in place, will put in some tanks tonight to get water up to temperature. Hopefully more pics too.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

So you got the boot to the shed, huh? You moving everything from inside out here?

Looks like you've made some nice progress so far. I would love to do something like this but it would not be practical with our winters.

Looking forward to seeing those racks filled up!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post
So you got the boot to the shed, huh? You moving everything from inside out here?

Looks like you've made some nice progress so far. I would love to do something like this but it would not be practical with our winters.

Looking forward to seeing those racks filled up!
Yep everything outside. Our summers are long and hot, I guess like the dry South West in the USA. The insulation is as much about keeping the shed cool in summer as warm in winter.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrox View Post
Yep everything outside. Our summers are long and hot, I guess like the dry South West in the USA. The insulation is as much about keeping the shed cool in summer as warm in winter.
What temps does the cooler months reach down there? Will the room require a heater?

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The coldest minimums almost never get to freezing point. Day time temperatures in winter rarely drop below 14 deg C which is about 57 F.

Heating the water directly will be the most efficient. With the amount of water in the room the temperature should be very stable. If I use a dehumidifier, that will help heat the room in winter to with the waste heat it produces.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some tanks in with heaters so I can move fish in soon. Have to work out the logistics of it now.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I was curious if you were going with in tank heaters, my fish room consist of around a 1000g and I tried to heat just the room but eventually went to heaters in the tanks.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I was curious if you were going with in tank heaters, my fish room consist of around a 1000g and I tried to heat just the room but eventually went to heaters in the tanks.
Heating the water directly with heaters in the tanks has to be more efficient than heating the room.

Water easily absorbs heat from the heater in it. If you heat air, air takes more energy to heat and is a better insulator than conductor of heat. On top of that, glass is an insulator too. So it takes a lot of energy to get the heat through the glass from the air in the room.

If you heat the water, you know the water is the right temperature. The task then is to trap the heat in the tank. Lids are very helpful. But eventually the room is heated by the water in the tanks. If insulated, the room then becomes very stable in temperature. If a heater is in the room, it just makes sure that the room temperature doesn't drop (on very cold days) enough for significant heat transfer from the tanks to the air in the room.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The juggling of tanks, stands and fish has begun.

I am taking the opportunity to lightly sand and rust protect the stands while the tanks are not on them. I'll be getting a dehumidifier or heat recapture ventilation system in the shed to help reduce this problem. But I'll slowly start replacing racks with wooden ones over the next couple years. I am slowly accumulating tools and skills that I need to do this properly.

Moving/tearing down the tanks gives me the chance to have a second look at the species I keep and hopefully be adding a couple of species to the list.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com