Flatback hex cinder block stand build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
So I finally got around to building a stand for the flatback hex that I've had sitting around for a year. What a crazy tank shape this one is, it's very long and very narrow. Dimensions are 67 x 9 x 16.5 along the back edge.

So I started with some cinder blocks

img_2092117_0_9c734b5a50383fbdb61edaed0549cad0.jpg

I spray painted them a flat black and stacked them accordingly. Because of the shape of the tank I had to put some half blocks in the center rather than full blocks, since I wanted to put the canister down there as well.

I also added a piece of sheet plywood cut to fit the shape of the tank, and it is braced with 2 2x4s for extra support.

img_2092117_1_79e857c98fdde79a5a89c50c82161641.jpg

I didn't like how wobbly this stand is because of its narrowness, so I found the studs in the wall behind the tank and added some braces. I plan to add 2 more braces at the top to hold the inside lip of the tank to the wall as well.

At this point I'm doing the plumbing, it is bottom drilled but I had to redo the parts because it was all glued into place previously and had to be broken when the tank was removed from the wall it was mounted in.

I also put a background on the tank.

img_2092117_2_1e5e250a74f0094b9b935b55e03056aa.jpg

I'm planning to put some sort of track lighting over it since it's up against the wall already, but we'll see. Will update as I make progress, stay tuned.

looks good! this is a cool build, i'm excited to see it stocked.

Update, put a few shiners in but still have yet to have a day to go after the bulk of the stock.

I did paint the tank trim black and painted a royal blue background.

Swapped the fluval 104 for a magnum 350, but still not impressed with the flow.

Im still looking for a sizeable powerhead to get the water moving.

Also added a sand/gravel mix that came from their actual habitat.

Once I get some dye I'll also paint the plumbing blue so it blends in.

Also ghetto fabbed a shoplight till I find some cheap decent track lights.
ForumRunner_20120908_201255.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom