Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Float Switch?

I really want to put a float switch on my minibow, so if something happened to my overflow, it would become wet and then shut my pump off.

Old 05-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A float switch won't turn on/off because it gets wet. It will turn on/off due to a change in water level.

Old 05-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know, but when it gets wet, that means the water level has risen up and lifted the switch off the probe. I think my question sounded like a statement. I was wondering if my idea would work, and I did not give you my idea. The float switch floats on the water, and when the water drops, it connects to a disc on the probe which completes the circuit right? So could I just put the probe higher, so the float switch is always on the disc, and then when the water rises it comes of the disc and kills the circuit?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not sure I follow your disc and probe, but I will explain how float switches work:

Basically, there are two types of float switches commonly used: 1) A switch that uses an actual "float" and 2) A vacuum triggered switch. With the "float" switch, you can usually set to where the float down means "on" and the float up means "off" or vice versa. So if you want a pump to stop based on a rising water level, you can set the float switch to where a rise in the float shuts-off the power. Hence an increase in water level and the pump shuts off. Many folks (including myself) use the other way. If the float goes down, a pump turns on, filling the tank or sump. When the float goes up, that pump shuts down. Many folks keeping a SW or reef tank will use this to keep water level and salinity constant. I'm setting up a FW/brackish tank that will use a float switch (the vacuum type), so I don't have to perform water top-off. This really isn't necessary in a FW tank, but since I already have the equipment, I might as well add some automation.

Vacuum switches are not as sensitve as traditional "float" switches. In other words, it takes a greater rise or fall in water level to trigger a response. However, the vacuum type doesn't stick like the "float" type. My recommendation is to use the vacuum type if you are using a doser to top-off your tank. A traditional "float" switch often works better if you are using a pump or powerhead to top-off your tank.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think you understand me, I know how the thing works, and I am going to use the float one. Can I use it to shut of power to the pump if the water level rises?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes. You can make it turn the pump off when the water level rises.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com