Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks everybody for all your input, I do appreciate it.

Just to be clear, what I'm looking for isn't something to automatically top off my tank. All I'm looking for is a mechanism to prevent my pump from running dry if for some reason one of my U-tubes loses its siphon and the refugium where my pump is at loses water.

http://www.adamhorton.com/files/flog/newsetup01.jpg

In that picture, it's the tank underneath on the right where I want to install this.

Maybe one of the top-off systems would work when mounted upside-down, but the goal here is not to regulate the water level in the display tank, I have a HOB overflow cup system to do that and I'm happy with it.

The one thing that's missing from this picture for me is a way to hook up the rest of the circuit that dezso posted to the 120V power source safely. Right now the only thing I can do is to stick the wires into the wall socket, which I really don't want to do. Is there such a part that I can plug into the wall and attach wires to?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I'm thinking the JBJ config I used would work. One sensor was mounted in my sump/fuge so that when it needed water, the pump (plugged into the controller box) in the FW reservoir would engage. The 2nd sensor was also in the FW reservoir which was there to keep the pump from pumping when the reservoir level got too low. What it that config used the second pump where your pump is? The first sensor would be high enuf so that the pump ran all the time.

Just wonderin'.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 AM   #13
Thanx but no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
They use a Madison M8000 float switch and reversed the magnets so it sends the signal to the relay to turn off the power when the water level drops below the switch.

Isn't that exactly what you're looking for?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post

Isn't that exactly what you're looking for?
Yes, but I already have that part bought. EDIT -- after looking a little more carefully at one of the specific products, I think this is the one you're talking about, right?
http://www.autotopoff.com/products/SS1/
This one could be mounted upside-down in order to shut the pump off when the water level is lower, right?

austinsdad: I'm not sure exactly how that interfaces with the pump. The pump I have can only be turned off/on by unplugging/plugging it from the wall. Will that device support that kind of interface?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHorton View Post
Yes, but I already have that part bought. EDIT -- after looking a little more carefully at one of the specific products, I think this is the one you're talking about, right?
AutoTopoff.com
This one could be mounted upside-down in order to shut the pump off when the water level is lower, right?
You can't mount it upside down. As I previously mentioned.........

Reverse Operation: The controller turns the device off when your water level is low. The device will be powered when your water level is high. To enable this mode of operation, remove the plastic retaining clip that holds the float on and reverse the float so the magnets inside the float are on the bottom.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
Thanx but no.....

Ok, so now I'm getting interested...

For clarity, are we saying that the SS1 will work, when operated in reverse mode to shut a pump off that is plugged into it. I assume the unit plugs into the wall and the pump (or whatever) plugs into the unit.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
+ 1 for the JBJ Auto Top off Unit... Works great...
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I see. The JBJ system will do everything I need and it will do a whole bunch of other stuff that I don't need. The Madison has a mode where it can just monitor my pump, which is what I think I want. Sorry I got confused, Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Thanx but no.....

I think so too. If you get one, update the thread if possible. If yours works I'l probably do the same thing.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. I probably won't get a chance to install it until this weekend though, since I need it to be lower than what the mounting bracket will allow. I'll post pictures when it's installed.

Tags
auto, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com