Float switch auto pump turn-off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Once you've sorted that use this as an auto RO water top up.try getting a Little giant pcs-10 (www.hawco.co.uk/Little-Giant-Pumps_32_0_m.aspx) parstaltic pump from your local air conditioning supplier,then dissconnect the push test switch on the side and connect your two leads from your float switch instead then just plug in your pump.These pumps use very low voltage off the pcb's to the switch so you won't need a transformer,relay or in fact anything else it's all in the pump.another benefit is the water doesn't go through the pump,it uses a rubber tube which can be removed in 30 seconds and replaced when clogged or every 6 months. This is what I have used on my refugium for the last 8 months

floatswitch01.jpg
http://www.adamhorton.com/files/flog/floatswitch01.jpg

floatswitch02.jpg

It's installed. It was actually very easy to do, the mounting bracket is made of a foam, so I hollowed it out with a Dremel so the switch would fit a little better and hot-glued it on for extra stability. It was actually long enough that I didn't really need to modify it to get as deep into the refugium as I needed it. That tank is a 20G High. Seems to work OK so far, and modding it to flip the magnet around was really easy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. That looks like autotopoff.com stuff. Is that were you got it? My ATO from them works flawlessly.

So does that mean you'll end up with 2? One for auto-topoff and one flipped to protect ur pump? That's what I was thinking.

The only switch I'll use is for that, I prefer to do top-offs manually, at least for now. There isn't an elegant way for me to store my RO/DI water so that it can actually work well automatically for an auto topoff, at least in my current living situation.

I see your point, I hadn't thought of it that way... I would need to look into getting another pump for that system, also. I don't plan to travel for a while though, so I think that's something I'd have to tackle when it comes up...

...thanks Inferno :) Couldn't have done it without the advice from here though...

Back
Top Bottom