Floating plant barrier/containment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fuse frog bit [ Limnobium Laevigatum ] , duck weed , salvinia , water lettuce [pistia] and water wisteria in many of my breeding tanks..
Fish love the protection from above. In nature if the predator is not in the water it comes from above and floaters really can calm some fish down.
Java moss can float along with some stem plants like hornwort or anacharis and anubias.

I use duckweed they love the cover. I ment a phisically barer to keep it where I want it on the waters surface and away from filter inlets that blow it down into the water colum.

I make circles with backer rod..
The soft 'rope insulation' ..
It floats so I place floaters in it and attach it with twist tie to side of tank.
Sometimes it works sometimes it goes right to the filter.
Sometimes I separate the outflow of my hob with the rod and keep floaters out of flow...
I have held plastic fabric on floating feeders also...

HanAquatics sells barriers that help keep floating plants from being pummeled by the filter output (if that is what you are looking for). It basically consists of a strip of mesh (maybe 2”x10”) with a pair of suction cups on each end. The suction cups are placed on either side of the filter output (mostly geared towards HOB filters) forming a “U” shaped fence. This prevents floating plants from getting drawn towards the filter discharge.

I silconed some air line tubing the length of my tank to two suction cups and put them at the water surface, as you can see in this pic

Attachments

• 20180128_180627.jpg
    20180128_180627.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 873
Back
Top Bottom