Florescent light modding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
The 55G tank I bought comes with two florescent strip lights (single bulb) But I want to use two bulbs (daylight and actinic) Is there any way to mod the fixtures (safely) that will allow the use of two bulbs?

Or would I be better off buying the fixtures separate?

most likely no. is it 2 48 inch strip lights as in like shop lights? i would prob just get a new fixture.

Try the POWERBRITE LED ACTINATE Lighting system. I really like it but you can apparently get it for daylight use as well. You need to determine what your light intensity needs to be.

Just like Mike said above...

Take a look at the ballast. It is not unusual to see more than one option for wiring a ballast to it's lamp(s).

Would a standard florescent ballast be able to handle two bulbs?

There really isnt any standard fluorescent ballast. most ballasts have a list and a wiring diagram on the label which will tell you What bulb, how many and what configuration and voltage. some ballasts can light 4 bulbs if wired properly and some will only work for one bulb.

there might be enough room to add another ballast and bulb depending on the size of everything.

Well now that I'm getting a different tank (see other post) I don't know what kind of light it comes with. I'll just have to wait and see. I plan on modding it no matter what to add moonlight LEDs.

Well now that I'm getting a different tank (see other post) I don't know what kind of light it comes with. I'll just have to wait and see. I plan on modding it no matter what to add moonlight LEDs.
Anyway as Matt and Mike indicated you have to look at the ballast, it most likely only has 1 output however you can change out the ballast to a multiple tap unit the only problem you would encounter is the existing fixture you described above probably wouldn't accomodate the new ballast size and if it did you have issued with the ballast overheating. You could remote the ballast and wire the outputs of it to the fixture via a homemade wiring harness.

More then likely the ballast will only light one bulb. Manufactures try to keep the cost down so I dought they would put the more expensive 2 bulb ballast on a 1 bulb fixture. The wiring diagram should be on the ballast. If not google the model # and brand and you should find it that way also.

I'm just gonna buy a new 2 bulb fixture. Seems easier. :D

But am I right by getting a dual bulb fixture? OR can I just change the bulb in the one tube fixture?

Marine tanks are all about Wattage out. The more wattage the greater the selections of corals you can keep. So a two bulb fixture would have twice the wattage of a one bulb fixture. Example: a fixture with one 48" 54w fixture with one bulb = 54 watts, a fixture with 2 54w bulbs= 108 watts.

Marine tanks are all about Wattage out. The more wattage the greater the selections of corals you can keep.

As a general and broad statement you are correct TC but actually with todays lighting you have to factor in Par and intensity. It used to be wpg was the rule but other factors are in play now. I also use wpg as broad rule and starting point also TC.

That's correct and that's where depth and what the light is shining through, how far it's above the tank, type of lens covers, water clarity all come into play.

I'm leaning toward a FO tank or a FOWLR tank. I know MH lights aren't needed unless its a reef tank, but I want to make sure there's enough light for at least a FOWLR tank.

Back
Top Bottom