Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluval FX4 DIY in hose modifications

Hello. I am womdering if anyone has done any modifications with fluval's ribbed hosing? Specifically with the FX series of hoses as i know they are slightly larger the then their other canister models. I am wanting to add a CO2 diffuser within the hose an possibly a UV unit. But the final hosing is dumb because it is rubbed. So it makes it complicated.
Has anyone ever done any modification where they add vinyl tubing within the fluval output line with success? If so, how did you do it? What parts did you buy to make it successful? Im not good adlt imagining how to make projects like this work so any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking it's nearly impossible to go down in size enough to fit add ons with that big of ribbed hose without it leaking. I would be more tempted to buy a little smaller clear tubing and scrap the entire hose. It's a smaller connection at the canister. Id go a size smaller than that, heat the end of the clear tubing and cram it over the connector at the canister. The clear tubing is much easier to add a splice in the line to go smaller. If you are worried about the stress on the motor in the canister just turned the flow down a bit. It's adjustable.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My suggestion would be emailing or calling Hagan, they might have some special connections or info on a good way to do it. Several times I have contacted them, and they have been very caring about my issue, question, etc.

Those hoses do not look like they would be easy to splice and not leak.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
My suggestion would be emailing or calling Hagan, they might have some special connections or info on a good way to do it. Several times I have contacted them, and they have been very caring about my issue, question, etc.

Those hoses do not look like they would be easy to splice and not leak.
I did send an email to Hagan but havent heard back from them. It has been 2 days now. Granted it was over the weekend so ill give them till tomorrow before i send another email.
And i believe it with the hoses not working the best when connected to a different type of connection.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
I'm thinking it's nearly impossible to go down in size enough to fit add ons with that big of ribbed hose without it leaking. I would be more tempted to buy a little smaller clear tubing and scrap the entire hose. It's a smaller connection at the canister. Id go a size smaller than that, heat the end of the clear tubing and cram it over the connector at the canister. The clear tubing is much easier to add a splice in the line to go smaller. If you are worried about the stress on the motor in the canister just turned the flow down a bit. It's adjustable.
King,
I have heard of people ditching the included tubing and going for vinyl. Only problem is they cant bend over the rim and into the tank very easily without kinking. People have done DIY with pvc pipe but that would look really tacky i would think. Either way, i dont know of a co2 diffuser that is big enough to go in a 1" line. The largest i have seen on the market is for standard 5/8". An inline diffuser to help grt CO2 more spread out is really all im wanting. An inline heater would just be a bonus.
Any idea on what i can do if an inline diffuser isnt an option? Im not a fan of doing it the old fasion way with a normal disc diffuser cause those dont get spread around much.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't help much with diffusers because I've never ran C02.

I know for a fact that an inline heater will not be big enough for the hose on an FX4. I've seen some people on YouTube splicing them into the ribbed hose with two clamps top and bottom but it looks sketchy.

The hose I'm talking about as a replacement would be similar to your drain out hose that came with your FX4 only larger diameter. The stuff is hard to kink. If you live in the states usually hardware stores sell it by the foot.

Tags
diy, fluval, hose, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Rescaped my 20L | - »