Foam rubber background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
Granted, its late as hell now, but just so i know what to expect....
I made a 3d background out of a sheet of foam padding i had. I burnt the crevaces into it myself, as well as made sure there were no small pieces that could flake off. Its not sealed or anything. And its secured via silicone to the bottom and back of the tank.

Have i made a horrible mistake and if so, what all have i done wrong and why?

I dont believe its toxic, nor does it flake or particle off. And it does not interfere with the water intake of the filter.
Any advice is welcome and wanted. Thank you!

Attachments

• 1406018356511.jpg
    1406018356511.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 1406018619901.jpg
    1406018619901.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 1406018657523.jpg
    1406018657523.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 133
Still wanting input. Is it safe or will it kill anything that swims in the same water?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well it's in :), I'd rinse off, repeat and then try with a few fish only. I can't think of any test. Rubber I believe is ok (lots of my fittings are rubber) but my concern would be any chemicals on there or from the burning.

If it happens to be toxic and kills off some fish, you could empty out the tank (or take it out) let it air dry for a few days, and apply like four coats of aquarium safe epoxy on it. Then let it dry for a few days again and re test it with a few fish. Hopefully that will work.

My main concern is that a bunch of gunk might grow in the foam holes so should be wary of that happening.

Best wishes - Raymond

Ok ty......ill be honest
It got rinsed off and set out in the open on my desk a good week before I put it in. It's closed cell, so it shouldn't get anything deep inside.

I was just wanted to make sure I didn't get a" oh god no!" from people who know more than I do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha trial and error is a lot of what DIY is so I wish you luck fellow DIY'er.

ADVENTURE WITHOUT FEAR. ONLY CAUTIOUS OPTIMISM! < saves fish XD

Back
Top Bottom