Found all this in the trash today..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenjiLew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What should I do?
Found a 50 gal pano tank with no lid.
I cleaned it up and I have aquarium silicone sealant.
What should I make?
Freshwater.
Any good ideas?
Cheap and easy to maintain if possible.

Image1490372633.060994.jpg

Great find! I just paid $350 for my 38gallon and stand at Christmas....

It might be fun to go fresh, with plants like Brazilian sword, pothos growing out of the top

Great find! I just paid $350 for my 38gallon and stand at Christmas....

It might be fun to go fresh, with plants like Brazilian sword, pothos growing out of the top

I am an American living in Israel so keep in mind my selection is different here.

The stores have mainly freshwater.

And mostly cichlid varieties other than the standard guppies, placo, cats, etc.

I've seen some huge cichlids, around the size of a dinner plate.

Many stores have freshwater snowflake morays and fire eels.

I'm thinking of avoiding cichlids altogether unless I can get a very docile one.

I'm thinking one eel.
One Betta.
A dozen or so guppies or mollies, maybe tetras.
Six baby placos.
3-4 cats.
3-4 cleaners like Siamese algae eaters.
Maybe a couple of snails.
Maybe a larger docile centerpiece fish.

Live plants are hard to find. So will probably go fake.
And I have a beautiful rock to use I found in the desert.

Any suggestions as to type of filter?
Internal or external?
Size and power?
Heater?
Lighting?
Air pump? (I want as silent as possible)

I would like to do a white and black sand thing.

Your stocking ideas I think need some work. Id probably start with getting the params of your water source.

First id leak test it
Get tap params so you can elimate species that wont thrive
Then start thinking about stock as you gather your needed equipment

First id leak test it
Get tap params so you can elimate species that wont thrive
Then start thinking about stock as you gather your needed equipment

I am going to reseal it anyway.
I was told by the people who threw it out that it doesn't leak but I want to replace the seals anyway.
I don't trust them.

As for water testing?
Exactly what do you mean?

I am going to reseal it anyway.
I was told by the people who threw it out that it doesn't leak but I want to replace the seals anyway.
I don't trust them.

As for water testing?
Exactly what do you mean?

Test you tap water or water source that will be used for filling and water changes. API freshwater kit will test most of what you need. PH being the normal variable depending on your local water supply. It's sometimes too high or low for certain species to thrive and increasing or lowering the PH can be tricky and a headache each time you change out 25-50% of the water periodically. Especially if your looking for low cost low maintenance stocking ideas. The PH will often times dictate the types of freshwater fish that would be ideal for you in your area. Even here in the US moving locally can change the source water PH.

Test for PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

Test you tap water or water source that will be used for filling and water changes. API freshwater kit will test most of what you need. PH being the normal variable depending on your local water supply. It's sometimes too high or low for certain species to thrive and increasing or lowering the PH can be tricky and a headache each time you change out 25-50% of the water periodically. Especially if your looking for low cost low maintenance stocking ideas. The PH will often times dictate the types of freshwater fish that would be ideal for you in your area. Even here in the US moving locally can change the source water PH.

Test for PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates

The area I live in in Israel gets its tap from filtered underground springs. Our source is en gedi. About 7.1-7.3.

I can't test anything else until I can get a new kit. It's in order for another week.

Betta jump when they are happy, but you could lower the water level if you use a sponge filter

In a tank that size, you could do a Betta, bristle nose pleco, and a school of something not too bright:)

Or swap the pleco for khuli loaches/ corie cats

Be sure to have an exit plan for the Betta in case it's not social....mine is, but not all are

I love the eheim jäger heater. My tank temp never deviated and the price is good [emoji4]

Great find.

At local fish stores, do you have CaribSea brand, bagged sands and substrate? Some substrate for Cichlids are made to keep the pH high.

I think Eels will jump and sneak through even tiny places. You would for sure need a top. If not available to purchase you could look into making one.

Take a trip to the lfs (local fish store) and look for some of fish find the one or 2 or 3 which is just the most interesting on to you. Maybe some other stores anywhere near your location which have different types of stock?

Great find.

At local fish stores, do you have CaribSea brand, bagged sands and substrate? Some substrate for Cichlids are made to keep the pH high.

I think Eels will jump and sneak through even tiny places. You would for sure need a top. If not available to purchase you could look into making one.

Take a trip to the lfs (local fish store) and look for some of fish find the one or 2 or 3 which is just the most interesting on to you. Maybe some other stores anywhere near your location which have different types of stock?

My stepfather is a retired engineer, his hobby is carpentry. So he can build me a stand and lid to fit.

I am not worried about that part.

As for the CaribSea brand, I dont' think they do but I will check.

Most products are either from China, Germany or the UK. Some American products.

Though most American brands here are made in Germany or Turkey.

Back
Top Bottom