frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone have any specs or web sites that i could see/use to build a propagation tank for frags?

i would greatly appreciate it

thanks

mark

i don't have a site but i can give you some insight. You usually want your frag tankt o be shallow. Most frag tanks i have seen are a lot to this effect.

it also has a lot to do with how big you are looking for. But usually no mor than 14-16 inches deep. I have seen a lot of tanks that are only 12 inches deep.

yeah i have seen frag tanks used in shallow feeding troughs, but unfortunately i don't have the room for that i was thinking of 20 gal long or something to that effect.

also lighting is a concern too. can you use power compacts or just metal hallides?

thanks all

mark

well the whole idea of a shallow tank is to minimize the need for higher wattage bulbs. i am thinking a rubbermade container (that will fit your design) filled to 12 inches deep would do the trick. anyways i don't see the need to go MH if you keep the tank shallow (14inches max) and the lights fairly close to the surface (with enough care to prevent splashing, etc) i could have swore garf.org had pics of their frag tanks, i even remember reading an article that said they were rasing coral frags on 2bulbs @ 40watt - shop light fixtures.

i will try double checking garf.org for the articles i am thinking of (couldn't located them just now). but the shallower the tank the less demand you have on lighting, since light can easily penetrate the tank.

A frag is short for fragments of coral.

if you are ambisious (spelling) you could build one out of acrylic. use a 4X4' bottom panle, with 12-15" high sides. this way you can use two peices of egg crate (2X4') on the bottom with a little sand. using acrylic makes it easy to install your bulkheads.

but a 4x4 sheet will still run you at least 30 bucks, plus the solvent to build it, the bulkheads themselves, etc. a rubbermaid container will do the trick and should run 15bucks at your local walmart. bulkheads can easily be overlooked as prettyness shouldn't be a concern for a frag tank.

this place has the cheapest prices for acrylic sheets i have seen, and i use it as a measure stick to find out if using acrylic for a project makes financial sense. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pr...SPlastic&category_name=21314&product_id=10477

Thread is a little old, but I will throw this out there ...

I use a 20L that I had drilled for a 1" bulkhead. It is part of my main system. I use a 2x55 PC fixture that I made with 2 $8 ballast from HD and 2 55 watt bulbs. I have seen PC bulbs as cheap as $10 if you catch it at the right time. The same ballast will run a 2x32 set up which would be sufficient for some softies.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom