Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here are a few pics of the frag tank. I have some more to add but I haven't gotten them on the computer yet. Right now I only have half of the tank under light and also only one piece of eggcrate in the tank. I've been trying to find eggcrate but Home Depot and Lowes didn't have any the last two times I went in. I'm going out this afternoon to BRK and will stop by a different lowes to see if they have any. I plan on doing a stair-step setup in the tank. Right now I have a few corals in there and some LR that I had in my sump. I also have some Cheato from my fuge in there.

Drilling the hole.

Putting a couple things in the tank.

I'll post more pics when I get the eggcrate in the tank.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I have the eggcrate "steps" in on one side of the frag tank and I have the frags on there now. I don't have everything arranged the way I want it yet but I haven't had time to do so yet. I'm still waiting on the new T5 ballasts to show up and the bulbs. Right now I still have only half of the tank lit which is fine because only half of the tank has coral in it. I was at BRK (locals will know where I mean) and picked up a trio of Firefish for the frag tank. Just thought they would add a little pop and they were only $9.95 so what the heck.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Very nice, when are you going to set up shop?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Some of the stuff in there I could start selling now I guess. There are a few of the rocks with zoas on them that I'm going to let grow for a while before selling them. I have a ton of SPS frags to get on disks too. Also I'm going to start selling some of my cheato its going nuts. I figure by the first of Feb I will have things up and running. I will have some listed here and some on ebay. If things go well enough I may start a small site online dedicated to it. We will see.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Ziggy...the frag tank looks great! So do the frags you have growing in there. Have you thought about adding some chuncks of LR under the egg create for added biological filtration? I would love to see how this is plumbed to the main. Great work so far...Keep it up!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW...how are you fragging your zoas and attaching them to plugs?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a ton of LR in my system as a whole and when I do PWCs I remove water fromt the system out of the 55 so I suck any nasty stuff off the bottom of the tank. I have about 40lbs of LR in there right now on the non-lighted side of the tank just because I have no where else for it to go.

The Zoas:

What I have been doing is chipping the rock away under the colony taking a few polyps at a time. I like doing it this way because the polyps are attached to a bit of rock and it makes for an easier surface to glue them down to the plugs. A few of the frags in the tank I just set the plugs next to the colony and after a week or so they grew onto the plug. I have 28 different types of zoas in my tank so what you see in the frag tank is only a small slice of what I have. For some reason even the "slow" growers grow like weeds in my tank.

As for the plumbing its really simple I drilled the hole in the tank put a bulk head in and plumbed it into my return tank. I have a Mag5 as the return pump and it pulls water from the return tank (main system return) and puts it into the frag tank. My tanks are side by side.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the info. I have a ton of zoanthids I would like to frag. When the weather in MN gets a bit more tolerable and predictable I would like to try my hand at shipping some to see how they do.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They ship very well. I just got a couple in a few minutes ago. as long as they don't get too cold they will be fine!

Tags
frag, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com