Freshwater Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllapin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be setting up either a 75 gallon or 90 gallon chichlid tank and want to design a sump from a 29 gallon aquarium, here is my idea. I'd love any feedback, suggestions or problems you see with the design.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 164
good idea, but drop the charcoal idea because its only needed for meds...

Interesting, then I'm curious why most commercial filtration systems come with an activated carbon filter.

I don't really know. I only use it if I've been medicating or the water gets smelly or weird colored for any reason (which only happened once and its because of medication, soo)

Usually charcoal and plants do not mix. Charcoal is a chemical filter, which will take out any chemicals you may use, be that medications or some fertilizers.

Get rid of the bioballs. They are not suppose to be submerged, but need water trickling through them. Keep the charcoal out and be ready to clean the first sponge often.

Heck, I would put a filter sock at the drain line. Its better than the sponge IMO. The second sponge would catch any plant debris from getting into the pump, but watch it carefully. If that sponge traps too many plant debris, then the flow will drastically be reduced and you get and your refugium area will overflow.

What kind of plants will you use? Are you going to use the refugium area for anything else?

Are you planning on having a substrate for the plants? If so the location of the break going to the return won't work as it is on the bottom and would just fill with the substrate.

Small gravel, there will be 4-5" between the gravel and the barricade for the return, I was trying to get the water to actually flow through the plants instead of just over them. I will be using plants that will grow in just about any conditions so no need for plant oriented substrate.

I don't think there are any plants that do well with having the water flow through them as opposed to a standard sump layout. The plants will still draw nutrients from the water. I think you would have more problems with the setup you have shown than you would if the overflow was at the top, but if you are using something heavy (like gravel) you may be OK.

I think the flow will be too strong in your sump after a second look. If you slow down the flow for plant growth, then you will barely get any filtration through the main tank.

You also need to make the last chamber bigger. Freshwater evaporate much quicker than saltwater. Another option is to get a auto-top-off unit.

Back
Top Bottom