Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The sump wouldn't be air tight, so I'd imagine the CO2 would come from normal gas exchange. I'm not planning on doing any CO2 injection, so the refugium would be a low-tech section. I could even tweak the design to be a wet/dry filter where the water trickles down over the bio media before entering the refugium if CO2 is a concern.

From what I've read, adding that egg crate to leave an opening below the bio-media and then having a hole drilled for sucking out debris, combined with keeping the bio media in bags for easy removal helps make the cleaning process much easier Depending on the sump design some folks have gone 2-3 months between needing to clean their sumps, but I don't expect to be able to go as long since I'd have the refugium debris to clear out of the baffle to the return area. I'm thinking it might make more sense to swap the baffle to being a solid wall with holes drilled through and have one wall of mesh on the other side. I think it should be less clog-prone that way.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This is how mine is setup and it work great. Better than anything imo

Attachment 101967

Attachment 101966

Attachment 101965

Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, way different than other designs I've seen! So you have your plants in the same area as the return pump? Do you have any issues with plants getting into the pump?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luananeko
Wow, way different than other designs I've seen! So you have your plants in the same area as the return pump? Do you have any issues with plants getting into the pump?
No I siliconed p.glass if you can see it on both sides. The water goes down from an overflow into a trickle filter ( that I had from a small salt tank) then I drilled a hole and ran pvc down to the bottom of the tank (29 gallon tall). Then siliconed the p.glass filled that part full of small rocks and sand. Then it flows up and out of there into the planted section then flowed over the next piece of p.glass into the return pump area. It's not a lot different then the pic you or someone posted above.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahhh gotcha, just couldn't make out all the areas properly from the pictures! Very nifty I can see why once folks try wet/dry or sump filters they don't go back. The amount of filtration you can get out of them looks impressive and you don't have all your equipment in the tank!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The only thing is when picking out what size tank (refugium) if using an over flow vs a drilled tank you want to make sure its big enough to hold all the water that's going to come down if the power goes out. The way to go is drilled imo but I have always been to scared to drill it lol so I use the overflow boxs.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Ahhh gotcha, just couldn't make out all the areas properly from the pictures! Very nifty I can see why once folks try wet/dry or sump filters they don't go back. The amount of filtration you can get out of them looks impressive and you don't have all your equipment in the tank!
Oh and that's not an actual aquarium pump its a sump from a hardware store. They are cheaper and youll get more gph out of them. On my return line I have a ball valve to adjust the flow (gph) and a check valve
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I still use a canister aswell. But that's due to my electric bill and worried when I'm not home that my siphon may break. Witch is another reason why a drilled tank is better.So I don't run it except for when I'm home. But ill tell ya when its just the canister running and my water starts to look dirty (not so clear) due to it needs cleaned. I'll turn that sump on and in 5-10 min. It's clear lol its great
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post
The only thing is when picking out what size tank (refugium) if using an over flow vs a drilled tank you want to make sure its big enough to hold all the water that's going to come down if the power goes out. The way to go is drilled imo but I have always been to scared to drill it lol so I use the overflow boxs.
Yeah, there's no way I'd feel brave enough to drill it myself either, lol. I'd be going with a 4000 or so gph pond pump for my return pump due to how messy my stocking list is combined with the tank volume and expected gph loss due to gravity. I've found some interesting ideas in my research for how to make an overflow that maintains the siphon without dumping large amounts of water into your sump when the power goes out:

Or a little more ungainly...

Both of these should limit the amount of water the sump takes on to just being a few inches of water plus the volume of the piping.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Yeah, there's no way I'd feel brave enough to drill it myself either, lol. I'd be going with a 4000 or so gph pond pump for my return pump due to how messy my stocking list is combined with the tank volume and expected gph loss due to gravity. I've found some interesting ideas in my research for how to make an overflow that maintains the siphon without dumping large amounts of water into your sump when the power goes out:

Or a little more ungainly...

Both of these should limit the amount of water the sump takes on to just being a few inches of water plus the volume of the piping.
Right its the same with mine, but you'll still get some. Once the water level drops below the overflow box the water stops. The bigger the tank (witch has more surface area) the more water is going to come down. Believe me I know I've ran a few over before lol so you'll need something big enough that can still hold all that water plus whatever might come down. Make sure if you make a overflow box its big enough aswell the more water you push to the tank the more the box has got to get down. I screwed up there and had to put on another.

I compared the pond pumps to sump pumps and they was still cheaper and gave a lot more gph. Just a heads up

You sound like you have done a ton of research or have had them before. So ill stop giving you things to keep on/in mind, don't want to make ya mad.
Just thought you would like to see how I did it.

Tags
freshwater, gallon, refugium, sump, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com