From scratch 55g tank stand build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update build day 9.
Again was busy today but I have managed to get a bit done on the tank.
The post man left a note under the door that he parcels for me and I made a trip to the post office this evening and they looked at me a bit strange when he had to make two trips to bring the parcels to the counter :).E-bay is such a curse as it so easy to shop. Hope to have this nearly done after the week end as I have made no plans and should be home all week end.

Attachments

• day 9 (62).jpg
    day 9 (62).jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 135
Update Build day 10: Okay so today I started the paneling abd still have to do the front of the stand and the doors on the lid the lights, the bottom doors. and the cover flaps to cover the top of the two ten gallons.

I bought so insulation that is covered with a special foil I will use that to cover the inside of the lid to protect from damp and being insulating will help with keeping some heat in.

I still have to do two coats of undercoat and then the top coat at well may do the wiring first

Photo 1 is the coating I will be doing it in with stainless steel fitting it is like 40grit sand paper
Photo 2 is the back so far still need hole for the pump wires ect
Photo 3 the front not done can see the space for the two 10 gallons
Photo 4 got it on e-bay for a steal only 16 pounds incl postage and it normally cost 35 plus postage may use it not sure yet its two foot long

Attachments

• SANY0103.jpg
    SANY0103.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 129
  • SANY0119.jpg
    SANY0119.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 130
  • SANY0125.jpg
    SANY0125.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 148
  • SANY0072.jpg
    SANY0072.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 138
That's looking very nice. Are you making this into a room divider?

Is the canister sitting in the middle or at the very bottom? If at the very bottom, make sure you read over the manual to ensure that it is within the proper depth for the canister to operate and pump properly.

:) I wanted to but I am worried having two small kids they may throw something and hit it and having it in the between the dining room and the lounge doubles the chances. I have a nice corner for the three tanks next to my LCD tv that I have mounted a big higher than normal because of the kids and the 55 will be just to high for them to hit some how by accident.

Okay so now for the good news the whole canopy is done sanded, holes filled sanded. undercoat, filled and then sanded again.undercoat again and the THE TOP COAT yeah. I have never seem bits and pieces come out of a spray nozzle but it does works and looks great not to let it dry.

This is after one coat of the finish I must still add a second coat to the Canopy

Attachments

• SANY0024.jpg
    SANY0024.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 94
Great it works I was trying to show the color and have managed to get photos of the texture of the spray paint finish

55Gallonbuildphoto219.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

55Gallonbuildphoto218.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

I bought some under tank mat on e-bay and must say it looks good as well and helps me as I have made the top about 2cm bigger than the Tank. It is 7mm thick and that on top of a 36mm top will be more than enough to protect the tank.

55Gallonbuildphoto238.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

55Gallonbuildphoto239.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

This is what the stand looks like right now I have not cut the front holes in it yet and am busy sorting the top out sanding the edges ect

55Gallonbuildphoto237.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

Depending on what browser you are using, you can right click on the image that you want within photobucket and choose to copy the image URL. Then when you add it to the thread, click on the image icon and paste the URL in. Everyone will then be able to see the image without having to click on the link.

Okay build day 12

I had some helping hands today so things moved on really fast and I had no other appointments and only have a few things to do. It is thursday so I only have one appointment and 3 other things I need to do then I can hit the list

After a Trip to B&Q

1 Mount the hinges on the bottom door
2 Mount the sliding brackets under the top door that pull ot to hold it level so I have a working platform to test water ect
3 Mount the magnetic door holders on both doors
4 Sand and prep
5 Spray undercoat
6 Sand and prep again
7 Touch up undercoat
8 Top coat 3 layers
9 Install the system I have come up with for the electrics
10 install the filter

and then the fun really begins

Here is the latest photo I took after I applied the adhesive to the top to hold it to the base

SANY0062.jpg picture by Mrfastfossil - Photobucket

Back
Top Bottom