From scratch 55g tank stand build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fastfossil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so I have looked on the internet and not found a stand like this one is going to be. I bought a very badly looked after 55g tank (one month old but neglected but as per photos cleaned up good) and have two 10 gallon tanks I need to build into a stand together. Please feel free to comment :lach: as we go along. Vinegar clean really well thats for sure

I have to include the two 10 gallon tanks into the stand as I have not been able to find a stand made in Google pics and would like to build them below this one to transfer baby's or problematic fish to. I am going to use external filter system for the big tank and the two 10 gallons have been running with internal filters and have had no problems. I would like to make the canopy raise in a motor and am open to any and all suggestions you may have. I have only decided on two things so far Wood frame 2X4 so building around that is the only restrictions so far.And putting some sketches together maybe if enough subscribe I will post all and get votes on best and build it.

Attachments

• DSC02893.jpg
    DSC02893.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 253
That tank cleaned up pretty well. Even comes with Snow White. Perfect!

If you are using an external canister filter for the 55g, you have factor in some under tank space for that which would take away the look from the two tens. I'm assuming that there will be a center brace between the two tens? If so, the canister could go right in the middle. Or you could mount the canister to the side of the stand.

Take a look at your local fish store the next time you are there and measure how high their lowest tank is from the ground. Then imagine you are in your house and think about whether you would enjoy looking at those two tens at that eye level. I would suggest raising it up slightly than having it just 4 or 5 inches directly from the ground. Just remember that you need adequate space between the top of the 10 gallon and the roof of the stand to perform adequate maintenance (e.g., can you get a good siphon going to vacumm out the detrius from the tank bottom to the bucket?).

The 2 x 4's could be painted out and then you could cover them with a nice skeleton shell. Just remember the inside walls.

Fresh water

I have never owned a canister filter and now that you pointed that out. I think I need to purchase the goods for the tank and then design the stand around them. I left 50cm to first shelf for the canister but then again they get bigger than that.
The equipment I have picked looks like this

1 X Fluval E 200w Advanced Electronic Aquarium Heater 280L
1 X 1200 LPH External Fish Tank Aquarium Filter
2 x Under Gravel Filter for a 18" x 12" Aquarium just a bit of extra filtering
2 X Aquarium Powerhead Sacem Pulsar 350 = 400 lph attached to gravel filter uplift tube 3/4 tank gravel 1/4
1 X HAGEN ELITE 23" (58CM) AIR CURTAIN DIFFUSER - FLEXIBLE
2 x 5cm wooden air stone
1 X JAD LARGE MAGNETIC ALGAE CLEANER & THERMOMETER AQUARIUM
1 x 6 - Way Aquarium Air Valve Gange Manifold Air Splitter
1 x RESUN Aquarium Silent Two Way Air Pump 180L/H AIR-3000

Comments please before I order for delivery
What missing what is a no no.
The red

The under gravel filter is old school but I used it and it worked really well before all the new stuff so just that bit more so so little cost. Attach a small power filter to the uplift tube GOOD OR BAD I AM NOT SURE WHERE I GOT THE IDEA
Is the air pump enough for the wood and air curtain?

You forgot the light fixture, timer to turn on the lights, check valve to prevent back siphoning to the air pump, gfci power bar and a water conditioner (unless your using reverse osmosis water).

The undergravel filter is not necessary but okay. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you cannot keep plants and have an undergravel filter system. The ex-president of my aquarium society has had his system setup for over 12 years and he has grown many types of plants with much success. The only nuisance with it is that the roots will tangle into the undergravel plate.

The powerheads will work well with the filter tubes. The air pump is also sufficient for your diffusers/bubblers. That gang manifold should have an adjustment knob on it that will help you disburse the flow more evenly.

What do you plan on keeping in this tank?

thanks for the feedback

Lights check I have a set from the previous lid and are in good condition
Check valves I have.

Timer I have never used one but It will be a worth while investment.

Any thoughts on the filter I worry about height it needs to pump about 1.2 meters and I know from a 900lt per hour pump I have for my diy gravel vac in the DIY section they not that strong.

It will all depend on how tall the canister is with the hose attachment. 50 cm is not that tall and the hoses might get twisted or bent. You will also have to read the manual for the canister as there is a maximum and a minimum height for the canister to be positioned underneath the tank. And I should point out that you will want to put the 10 gallons in as well to make sure that you have enough room to service every device. The HOB filters for the 10s might be a nuisance to get to.

If you're looking at using the tens for growing out fry, why not drill and plumb all the tanks together? then you don't have to worry about aclimation, etc. between tanks.

Would like to but all that plumbing and drilling glass is not for me but I am lucky because the two 10 gallons are below I can water change into the lower ones and keep them in line with the top by removing 50% from the two tens and filling with 25% from big tank and 25% fresh water. That was the best I could come up with to try align them to each other. Think that will work?

Yes, it should. Usually if my fry tanks are empty, and I'm moving fry into them, I drain the water out of the fry tank and simply fill it from the parent tank.

Okay thanks that would be much easier and makes sense.
Spent most of the day shopping today and checking prices for this build and have found some really nice things for it and have decided to do the whole cabinet in a brown and black stone chip with stainless steel fittings.I am going to work in some down lighting if I can using the external filter as a show piece instead of hiding it as it will make life easy to maintain it.
Well next week is going to feel like Christmas I just paid for the
external filter it is 350gph with a built in 9watt UV lamp and all the trimmings with great reviews here in the UK
Fluval 200 watt digital heater
and still shopping.

Okay so after a trip to the local B&Q and a nice chat with the sales person who gave me advice and cut all the wood for FREE :) because of the amount I guess and the fact that I would be back for the wood to build the shell of the stand. This is where I stand so far. I did all the plans on a excel speed sheet and have decided that the skeleton has to be straight forward square and as strong as possible. I have pre-drilled all the holes where the screws cut across the grain just for that extra bit of wow.:) Then made sure to glued and screw every single joint and wiped away any excess. I used drywall screws I find they are sharper and the thread is more grooved so it holds better and cuts into the wood as you turn them in.

Attachments

• SANY0043.jpg
    SANY0043.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 162
  • SANY0042.jpg
    SANY0042.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 154
  • SANY0037.jpg
    SANY0037.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 142
  • SANY0047.jpg
    SANY0047.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 153
Update Build day 7 :Okay so I managed to put the skeleton of the frame together and one thing is apparent the filter plus the 2 ten gallon tanks plus the 55 gallon tank means I have one huge fish tank stand and was going to change it. My wife said I must leave it as I am looking it this as three seperate tanks and its not going to really look like that as they so close together. I agreed that what I see and how it will look could mean I am wrong but the top of the tank is going to be 1.5meter high and will mean I have to use a step to work in it. When sitting down on the couch the 10 gallon tanks are perfect at 1 and a half foot starting point and the large tank starts at just over 3 foot and because I have two kids this could be an advantage at prevent a Ooops :0.

The really really good news is that the review on the external filter I chose said they deliver fast and today being day two since the order it arrived at the door along with the Fluval heater. I am really happy with the filter but it seems to have way to little bio balls activated carbon and ceramic rings. As if they are only samples and enough to start but would not support a tank when it is under full bio load with many fish. I will order some more tonight.I also crossed over to the reality side of aquariums and bought a API freshwater master test kit.
Green is has arrived
Red still waiting on it

EXTERNAL FILTER+9W UV STERILIZER+MEDIA 1400L/H AQUARIUM
Fluval E 200w Advanced Electronic Aquarium Heater 280L
API Freshwater Master test kit .
6 - Way Aquarium Air Valve Gange Manifold Air Splitter
Silicone Airline 4mm - 10 mtrs Quality Opaque Airline
Aquarium Fish Pump Wood Air Stone Ceramic Diffuser-AU53
Quantity:2

Attachments

• 200LT Build (10).jpg
    200LT Build (10).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 163
  • fil (1).jpg
    fil (1).jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 155
  • fil (2).jpg
    fil (2).jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 146
  • fil (4).jpg
    fil (4).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 146
Can't wait to see the finished stand! I love building projects.

Back
Top Bottom