fry tank filter/ internal canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveho

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys,
i have had my fry tank for a while now and most of the time the sponge filter is fine however i like keeping corys in with my fry as a clean up pllus they keep the cycle going. currently i have 4 trilieatus and 4 pygmy as well as 3 trilineatus fry and about 20 molly fry in the 20gal so as you can see as the fry grow the spone filter will probably not be sufficiant. so i decided to make something.

img_2009905_0_0576090cda307b510d302b3a347a27f3.jpg

i guess its sort of an internal canister...obviously the design could be turned into a more conventional external canister but for this proto type i thought what the hey.

so basicly the water is pulled through the yellow sponge into the pvc tube, inside the pvc tube the water must first pass through another sponge then onto bio noodles and finaly larger bioballs to stop any noodle parts. the water is then pumped out by the small power head.
obviously this design has limited aplications but for my fry tank it dose an awsome job plus i seeded my tank using this filter and because of the sheer amout it holds it was fry safe very quickly.

tell me what you think

just some aquarium safe silcone, can get it from super cheap or bunnings

well i have come to realise the 200lph power head is just a bit underpowered ill post results for the 600lph

Here's blueprints for mine. Ur suppose to fill the bottle with medium too

Attachments

• image-1235915158.jpg
    image-1235915158.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1054009425.jpg
    image-1054009425.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom