Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fulham Workhorse 7 help please

OK, I got my 2 Workhorse 7s. There's the black/white for what I assume is the power cord, and 2 outlets of wires on the opposite, consisting of what is red and black and yellow. My questions are these:

1) Do I just buy a power cord, but it open, and splice it to the black/white wires? What's a good powercord, and does anyone know of a chain that'd have something like it...I kinda don't want to wait another week for mailorder...plus shipping on just a powercord.

2) I have 4 moisture-proof PC endcaps from marinedepot. One end is for the bulbs, but the other end is also socketed. Do I need to buy a socket to attach to the ballasts to attach to the endcaps? Or do I simply cut the ends of off these and splice those too?

Never done this before, and I have no idea. If pictures are required, I can take some tonight and have them up by tomorrow. THANKS!

Old 01-16-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Any lowes, home depot or menards will have electrical cords to use. THey will either have a molded plug on one end and bare wires on the other end or they you can pickup the plug itself and then use some romex (sp?) (thats the wiring for inside walls) to wire the plug up and connect the ballast with wire nuts and a fair amount of electrical tape to seal it up.

Any endcap that I hae seen for PC bulbs is only 1 ended. This is because PC bulbs only have connectors on 1 end. Are you sure you dont have VHO endcaps? PC bulbs will have either 4 stright connectors or 4 connectors in a box shape and the bulbs themselves only have connectors on one end.

I cant help you with wiring the ballast as I have not wired a workhorse ballast but usually there is a common lead and then two leads where one lead goes to 1 bulb and another lead goes to the other bulb.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here're both the ballast and the endcap. I was assuming I could just wire a cord onto it, but it's the endcap part I'm confused about. They only have one end for the bulb, and they are PC endcaps...it's the end that is supposed to connect to the ballast that has me shrugging. So, here're pictures, if this helps. Sorry for the ppor quality, I snapped them in about 25 seconds, and I don't have a lot of time.

Ballast: Out wires...each of the two outlets have 2 red wires a piece. ONE of them has a yellow wire also.

Endcaps...the one with the holes in square config are for PC bulbs, of course. The other end is what's confusing me. It has 3 round pins...in a diagonal arrangement, and the lone pin on the upper-left is a flat pin. I have no idea what these go to.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok..one more time. Sorry for the botched post, and for all the pictures.

To clear any potential confusion, I did not take a picture of the wires for the powercord, as that issue has been resolved. =]
Old 01-16-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Seems like the endcaps are designed to fit into some kind of wiring boot. the photo ec2.jpg is the bulb end of the endcap and ec3.jpg seems like it matches up with some kind of quick release from a ballast or something.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Know how I could remedy this problem?
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
Fulham, the maker of Workhorse ballasts, has wiring diagrams on their site at www.fulham.com
Old 01-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did discover the Fulham diagrams shortly after I posted this. My only problem now is the endcaps. I will be returning them to MD, and probably purchasing appropriate ones from captiveraisedcorals. Thanks to all who helped!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com