Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-09-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes, that is absolutely a possibility, and I tried that some time ago. There were some problems though. It gives you 2 things to control instead of just one. In my case, it created a syphon that continued until the pump was out if water, since the drain is lower than the water level of the aquarium, witch then captures air inside the pump, so that next time it might not start pumping.
I'm using an overflow to get rid of the extra water, which works just fine, also when I'm away for work. Last time it was running by itself, was for 2 months, and everything worked fine.
For the overflow, I would recommend you to go to YouTube and search for:

How to do: DIY aquarium overflow
How it works: DIY aquarium overflow

If you don't know it already, that is.
In my mind, it's much simpler and more reliable than to control an extra pump. This way you just pump water in, and the overflow takes care of the rest.
If you want, I could post some pictures of the setup I have here.

Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Makes complete sense. Never thought of it like that, only problem is that when you start pumping new water in, its technically going to mix with the old water, so i dont think the pwcs will be as effective.

my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
Yes, you are absolutely right. Since my aquarium is approx 240 litres (minus gravel and stuff) I'm guessing that I loose about 1 litre of clean water for every 20 litres that are pumped in. So about 5% is returned directly back to the drain.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #14
One more thing. I was looking into lowering the entry pipe of the overflow (using a servo or similar) prior to pumping water in the aquarium, but I will need to build a new overflow which is less rigid, so it will wait until my next vacation. Going back to work in Egypt next week, so I will not start making major changes right now.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Similar Requirements

I was searching google and found this thread (which prompted me to join this forum) I was hoping Jensen that you could post the Arduino components that you have used so far and how they are wired together and a parts list. I'm hoping to build a setup very similar to yours though for slightly different reasons.

I am LAZY of course, so having an automated system so I don't have to do a TON of maint. on a 210Gal tank is high on my list. But the second and much bigger reason I want to automate the tank is because I am trying to breed Dwarf Chain Loaches, and so far as I can tell there are no guides on how to breed them available. As such I want to be able to record all of the tank data so that if I am able to get them to breed I will be able to identify the specific causes and put the information on the web for others.
RcCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #16
Well, for monitoring the water quality, I really don't have much right now, but here is what I have...

For reading pH I use the pH/ORP Adapter from Phidgets, together with a descent pH Probe.
Phidgets Inc. - 1130_0 - pH/ORP Adapter
Wiring is easy. 5V, GND and an analog pin on the arduino. Do an analogRead on the analog_pin and you will be returned a value, corresponding with the pH value. What I did was to read values in a pH4 solution and in a pH7 solution and then map those values in the arduino. ie
float pH = 0.00;
int pHInt = map(pH , 357, 532, 400, 700); // 357 value from pH4 - 532 value from pH7
pH = pHInt / 100.00;

For reading the temperature, for now I'm using a 1-Wire temperature sensor:
There are plenty of tutorials on the net about using a DS18B20 sensor. they are not super accurate (mine is actually about 0.6 degrees Celsius off), but it's is easily corrected in the Arduino code.

The water level is monitored using a Ultrasonic range finder:
Distance Sensors
it measures the distance from the censor to the water surface, a bit of calculation, and voila, you have the volume.

For data logging (if you have a normal job, unlike me...), you could simply use a SD card:
See this tutorial by Jeremy Blum:
Tutorial 11 for Arduino: SD Cards and Datalogging - YouTube

Well, that's pretty much it for water data on this side.
I could recommend you to have a look at Atlas-Scientific Home They have a bunch of very exotic hardware, that I imagine will be very fun to play around with (sadly I don't have any of those, since they are quite expensive)
Just don't let the electronics bug bite you. Actually I find all this electronic tinkering and programming much more fun than the actual aquarium part
Kind regards

aquarium, ideas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com