Galvanized Steel (i.e. chicken wire) in FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I bought a roll of galvanized steel chicken wire today, and I was wondering if it leeches anything significant in freshwater? I know in saltwater, the zinc will end up leeching and killing stuff, but most of the stuff I've read was something like "any metal anywhere near your tank will kill everything", and I tend to ignore blanket statements like that. I'd imagine aluminum/galvanized steel would be okay for freshwater, but I wanted to make sure.

No. Galvanized steel just has a chemical coating/treatment. I don't know if the chemical aspect of it would be a problem or not. I can tell you that galvanized will still rust. The only metal I would feel comfortable with in my tank is titanium. What exactly are you trying to do with it? I'm sure there's a plastic alternative.

I was going to use it as a sort of weight that mossy plants could grow into. Most plastics in themselves aren't heavy enough in themselves to sink in water, so I was hoping for a simple solution.

Right now I'm working on a little aeroponics project I've been wanting to work on, and I was thinking about suspending something like HC over some sprayers. Currently I have some micro sword growing in a bucket with soil/water, and it's growing very well. I'm probably going to try to get a plexiglass cover and make an led light, and make a nice little greenhouse type deal for growing plants (I'm a bit impatient)

Good stainless steel is ok in a tank. You can also weight down plastic mesh with lead split-shot fishing weights. Lead doesn't dissolve in water.

I'm probably going to try to get a plexiglass cover and make an led light, and make a nice little greenhouse type deal for growing plants (I'm a bit impatient)

You may want to use glass for the cover. Plexi will sag and yellow over time with the light right above it.

but there is a new type of acrylic out there i used it for my top its 1/2" so it will not sag i know cause iam a cabinet maker and we use it for shelves in all glass display cabinets iam not sure on the yellowing tho

Galvanized steel is zinc coated steal. The iron inside won't degrade since whatever is exposed quickly oxidizes into zinc oxide which is non-reactice. I'd say give it a go...Although I would have to agree with meegosh, a hi-qual stainless steel is the best route if you HAVE to use metal.

not sure but I am in the construction industry and read once on a box not to hold the nails in your mouth as the acid in the mouth reacts to the metal and leaches chemicals. But it seems like it is stable in most other applications.

you can do a search of "dangers of galvanized steel" and you will get a ton of info. some of the info should be taken with a grain of salt :)

im a metal fabricator and iv seen galvanized steel rust alot, not just the cut uncoated areas. i wouldnt try it unless you watch it very close and if you see any rust i would remove it rite away

Back
Top Bottom