Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I cut out all the old silicone on the inside, left the stuff between the glass.

I siliconed the inside following instruction found on Youtube. (stripping out old, cleaning with alcohol, taping to line it up and then siliconing the inside, smoothing with finger). Left to cure for 4 days.

I then filled it on our concrete decking and left it outside for 5 days, apart from the fact a bird pooped on the outside glass it suffered no effects and the seals all don't seem to have moved.

So I feel pretty happy about it, have brought it inside and cleaned the bird poop off. Intend to fill it and transfer back the fish I moved out when I have time this week.

I think a DIY sealing of a full tank is something you probably need to do before you'll feel confident about doing it. I was absolutely fine with it breaking while I was water testing it and just going to buy a new one if that happened, so the fact it held is great.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

...and the reason why I did that is because the store couldn't take the return, I had to EMAIL the manufacturer and as they are based in New Zealand and didn't answer my email within a week I figured it a lost cause.

Moral of the story really is to only buy tanks from manufacturers you know have paid out on claims, etc.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My glass aquarium bust from the bottom and I found all the water spilled in my living room and half of the fish lay dead. Surely, what bad luck.... Where could I hv gone wrong...?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Possibly either a stone hit the inside, someone hit the outside with something, or it just failed. Being in Kenya I would question that maybe it (the silicone) on the outside dried out?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank u 4the reply. Ok, may b since I leave in the Tropics, it does make a difference. The aquarium was 11 months old. The fish were doing well and was pleased with the results. Now I will be setting up another one and starting all over again. Any ideas about set ups of Aquariums......?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I were you I would read the other forums here, there's a huge amount of info. Best of luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi Tim Wheatley! Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasreenmalik View Post
Thank u 4the reply. Ok, may b since I leave in the Tropics, it does make a difference. The aquarium was 11 months old. The fish were doing well and was pleased with the results. Now I will be setting up another one and starting all over again. Any ideas about set ups of Aquariums......?
tank-decor-cycle-fish-enjoy---- there yaa go...
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasreenmalik View Post
My glass aquarium bust from the bottom and I found all the water spilled in my living room and half of the fish lay dead. Surely, what bad luck.... Where could I hv gone wrong...?
One possibility is that a rock sitting on a single piece of gravel caused a point load on the bottom glass, causing it to break. There are a number of ways of preventing this. Styro beneath the glass will help strengthen the glass, styro or egg crate beneath the rockwork in the tank will also prevent this. It is generally a rare occurrance, but a friend lost 2 tanks this way.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

After setting up a new aquarium, within 2 weeks I notice white dots on the fins of 3 of my fish. Am using mycopu and baktopur to rid the fish of infections. Any other suggestions.......?

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com