Gap between aquarium glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just did a water change on my 75 gallon tank. The front (long) edge of the tank and the left side glass are not resting against each other. The silicone seal on the inside is obviously touching both pieces as there is no leak, but it's quite a gap on the outside and I'm just wondering what I should do? Should I plug the gap with new silicone, should I completely reseal that side? At the bottom the gap is already filled with silicone, but it lessens in the middle and I can stick the end of my finger in there (it's about 4mm/0.15 inches apart), but the top then it is filled. I don't actually know if this is new, or whether it's always been like this... I actually assume it's always been like this.

Just to be clear, the glass is the same distance apart the whole way up, it's just there's no silicone between the glass (on the outside edge, at least) in the middle.

If I don't decide to repair completely, would it do any harm to plug the gap with new silicone? ie: would the acetone from the new affect the old?

Can you post a picture? I'm still not clear what you are referring to.

I really don't think a photo will show you anything as it isn't uniform the whole way up. I can try to do a video where I show the differences? :)

Basically the front and side are separated, the silicone on the inside of the tank is obviously sealing the tank, but on the outside of the tank, middle way up, there is no silicone on the outside between the glasses. Is that clearer?

This would concern me, but, if it was working I don't know whether I would attempt a repair. The only way to fix something like that properly is to totally disassemble the tank. If there is no movement in the glass, which is a dead giveaway that there is an impending problem, I would probably leave it. However, all my tanks are in the basement around the floor drain so a leak would not have the same impact it would if the tank were in a living area.
Filling the void from the outside won't do any harm, but if it isn't clean, adhesion may not be all that good. You could actually run a clean bead from top to bottom if it made you feel better.

I would not trust the tank. Over time I think the tank may fail.
How old is the tank and where did you get it from. It appears to be a manufacturing defect and I would get in touch with the manufacturer.

cmor1701d said:
I would not trust the tank. Over time I think the tank may fail.
How old is the tank and where did you get it from. It appears to be a manufacturing defect and I would get in touch with the manufacturer.

I have to agree. IMO it would be on the back of my mind as would a stand I don't completely trust.

I would take it down either return it or sell it.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to reseal it, but emptying is going to be such a pain... :(

Anyway, was bought new from Petland. It's a DeepBlue 75 gallon.

I agree. You would need to take it apart (remove the glass) and put it back together to reseal it properly. As a store bought product I would make the manufacturer and store fix the problem.

I cut out all the old silicone on the inside, left the stuff between the glass.

I siliconed the inside following instruction found on Youtube. (stripping out old, cleaning with alcohol, taping to line it up and then siliconing the inside, smoothing with finger). Left to cure for 4 days.

I then filled it on our concrete decking and left it outside for 5 days, apart from the fact a bird pooped on the outside glass it suffered no effects and the seals all don't seem to have moved.

So I feel pretty happy about it, have brought it inside and cleaned the bird poop off. Intend to fill it and transfer back the fish I moved out when I have time this week.

I think a DIY sealing of a full tank is something you probably need to do before you'll feel confident about doing it. I was absolutely fine with it breaking while I was water testing it and just going to buy a new one if that happened, so the fact it held is great.

...and the reason why I did that is because the store couldn't take the return, I had to EMAIL the manufacturer and as they are based in New Zealand and didn't answer my email within a week I figured it a lost cause.

Moral of the story really is to only buy tanks from manufacturers you know have paid out on claims, etc.

My glass aquarium bust from the bottom and I found all the water spilled in my living room and half of the fish lay dead. Surely, what bad luck.... Where could I hv gone wrong...?

Possibly either a stone hit the inside, someone hit the outside with something, or it just failed. Being in Kenya I would question that maybe it (the silicone) on the outside dried out?

Thank u 4the reply. Ok, may b since I leave in the Tropics, it does make a difference. The aquarium was 11 months old. The fish were doing well and was pleased with the results. Now I will be setting up another one and starting all over again. Any ideas about set ups of Aquariums......?

If I were you I would read the other forums here, there's a huge amount of info. Best of luck!

Thank u 4the reply. Ok, may b since I leave in the Tropics, it does make a difference. The aquarium was 11 months old. The fish were doing well and was pleased with the results. Now I will be setting up another one and starting all over again. Any ideas about set ups of Aquariums......?

tank-decor-cycle-fish-enjoy---- there yaa go...

My glass aquarium bust from the bottom and I found all the water spilled in my living room and half of the fish lay dead. Surely, what bad luck.... Where could I hv gone wrong...?

One possibility is that a rock sitting on a single piece of gravel caused a point load on the bottom glass, causing it to break. There are a number of ways of preventing this. Styro beneath the glass will help strengthen the glass, styro or egg crate beneath the rockwork in the tank will also prevent this. It is generally a rare occurrance, but a friend lost 2 tanks this way.

After setting up a new aquarium, within 2 weeks I notice white dots on the fins of 3 of my fish. Am using mycopu and baktopur to rid the fish of infections. Any other suggestions.......?

Back
Top Bottom