Garage fishroom 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
That's right, I'm rebuilding my garage fishroom. I moved some of my stuff into a spare room because the climate control is much better in there, but figured out that I have much more room in the garage. So, I forked out the money for a decent sized portable A/C unit, and now we are in business! One of my friends bought out a breeder and had a bunch of tanks, so he gave me a great deal on them.

I did build wooden stands for my 8' acrylic frag tanks (in background on pics), but for all of these new tanks I'm just going with prefab racks. The only one that has really stood the test of time with me has been the edsal/husky 6fter. I've had one for 5+ years and it's still doing great.

So, I went and got 3 more to go with it.

I'll be doing the sponge filters later this week or early next week as the equipment comes in.

For lighting I'm likely going with t8 shop lights, and likely to only put one over each level. This means that several of the tanks are going to be lacking overhead light. Not really a big deal in this situation as they aren't for growing plants. If anyone has any input on the light plans I'd like to hear them, from what I gather this is going to be the cheapest route.

Some of the tanks are drilled already, which is nice, but many are drilled with a 1/4" pvc fitting for some reason. I can't easily (or cheaply) find the matching adapters to this size piping so I"ll most likely glass over them and do DIY overflows. The only real purpose of the overflows for me is to make water changes easier (and automated), so I don't need it to be high volume.

Anyhow, here's some pics!
img_3194937_0_954621fa491f8861b89b6aefa1bcdc67.jpg

img_3194937_1_a4f1a4ecfb9b18a88d97ccdc4308df90.jpg

img_3194937_2_3682c374ec6c9d9bad4e32afd0c032d9.jpg

img_3194937_3_02ded4ef5fb9b1616b0ed91faa315701.jpg

Mother of tanks ??....

I dream of the day I could do something like this.

For the lights- you could do a bunch of DIY shop lights and mount them across several tanks for each row. It would be much cheaper than actual lighting system. Jut don't overload your outlets ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Woah....

I was gonna suggest for lighting I'm not sure if it's cheaper though, but my dad uses these diy led strips and he basically cuts them to length he wants and puts a transformer and a switch on and wallah. He uses them to pimp out everything, beer fridge, home entertainment unit, work van, study....

I also use a strip of them for my main planted tank and I've had great success there too.

I just think they'd be a whole lot more compact and convenient and also would give you more space then working with bulbs. Plus really bright...

Noticed you havnt been around as much.. busy busy. Look forward to progress pics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Noticed you havnt been around as much.. busy busy. Look forward to progress pics.

An understatement. I ordered a supreme/pondmaster (danner) ap40 pump so it should be here next week. Hoping it'll give me enough air for everything. It's specs look like it is comparable to the alita al40 which is a beast.

I'm going to get 5 more shop lights today. It probably won't be enough but I don't necessarily need every tank lit up either. I already have a half dozen shop lights and about 15 or so led floods that I'll be using as well.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

An understatement. I ordered a supreme/pondmaster (danner) ap40 pump so it should be here next week. Hoping it'll give me enough air for everything. It's specs look like it is comparable to the alita al40 which is a beast.

I'm going to get 5 more shop lights today. It probably won't be enough but I don't necessarily need every tank lit up either. I already have a half dozen shop lights and about 15 or so led floods that I'll be using as well.

I definitely would like to know how the pump works out. I see I am already pushing the limits on my old Sweetwater so a second ( or bigger) air pump is in the "not too distant" plans for sure. (y)

What kind of fish are you stocking? Is this more of a breeding project or just for fun? Definitely following!

Nils

No idea Andy, estimating around 50 give or take a few. As far as stocking Nils, I have been ordering in fish for locals in our fish club, but ultimately I intend to keep a few dozen native species for breeding projects and resale.

Awesome! You should definitely throw some GBR's in there just for breeding. Looks good!

nils

I have a few longfin gbrs, I had a bunch but they came in with ick and several died during the treatment period. I'll likely get more at some point.

I'll be wanting some of those spectacular mini sunfish you've posted in the past:)

No idea Andy, estimating around 50 give or take a few. ...but ultimately I intend to keep a few dozen native species for breeding projects and resale.

Ok, I'm still interested in the results of that new air pump. (y) I may need to make a decision pretty soon :facepalm: Right now I seem to have a pressure issue. I got some airstones ( ball type and rectangular type),from the hatchery I bought, that work well at the surface but lose strength at the bottom of a 10 gal tank. If I raise them back up to the surface they will blow like mad again but any change in the air pressure, I lose them again :( I have no issues with all the sponge filters and the other inside filters I am using. :confused: I do know the place was using a larger version of the sweetwater pump I have but he was also running about 100 more tanks than I plan on. Unfortunately, there is no one still alive from there to answer if they were working properly at his place so I can only assume...... :( Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom