Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Well, I was working on my hood tonight since I just received my AquaLight Retrofit 2x96. I should be working on the doors this weekend after I finish building the router table to handle the bits.

Jim

Old 01-15-2004, 11:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
Hey Jim - what are you doing for doors? My stand is almost done, but I don't have a solution for doors yet. I'm looking at double doors, 14" wide (each) and about 28" high. I'd like to go 3/4" unfinished oak, but don't have any plans.

Any cabinet makers out there?

Old 01-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I am a cabinet maker

I'm making doors like you would see on kitchen cabinets. Same style with a recessed center panel.

Jim
Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I decided to be adventurous and I'm going with a floating panel mision style with mine. I've got all the pieces cut and i'm just getting them all to fit tight and square. Just waiting for warmer weather as my garage is not heated
Old 01-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
ok, stupid question coming... [alert]

Billy what is a floating panel mission style?

Tomarrow's the day for building! i don't have to work, and got 48hrs+ completely open for this project. So after a car repair appointment tomarrow, i am going to my HD and buying the wood, then the fun will commence, thank you guys for all the advice, Ahh.. the smeel of sawdust again..
Old 01-16-2004, 12:17 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

in a floating panel door there is a slot on all four sides where the panel is held. The panel is not as thick as the surrounding wood. In a bed that I made I used this style. I had walnut recessed into mahogany, it turned out pretty good.

Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 01:15 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ah! so that's what that's called, i have heard of floating panel designs (an idea i was thinking of incorporating into my doors) never floating panel mission style though. Thank you master craftsman jim, yet again.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
Good thing you're a cabinet maker... I have a buddy who is a pro as well, I think he's going to build my doors. That's definitely the hardest part of this project for me!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's the thing about tools. If you don't plan on using them again, there no sense in spending more money on the tools than the finished product. I don't mind spending $100 on a set of bits because I know that they'll pay for themselves in the long run. Especially if I can get people to hire me to build things for them.

Jim
Old 01-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, i got some good news.
Just got back from the mechanic (more good news) and home Depot. I got my wood, there is a little warpage though on 2 boards. (**** near every piece had a little) and i got my ply top to boot. I am going to do the cutting as soon as a friend stops by to give me a hand.

jim, your pretty much right about the tool theory, they are worthless on a shelf but my grandfather would totally disagree with that. he had every tool known to man, all neatly arranged in his garage, if ever you needed something he had it, regardless of what it is. he was a dentist by trade but a DIYer to the very end,

anyway thanks jim for the advice, and thai thinks for stability answers, it's almost time to see what it's like myself. i will probably document the building process via pics and the like. Still can't wait to see what Jim, the craftsman is cooking up for doors.

oh yeah the more i think about it, the more i want floating panels doors now, last night i went digging through cabinetmaking and woodworking books looking for alternatives but they all suck. However my next problem.. what would go with oak ? my old stand, the tank, and the canopy [ i could have built one for 1/6 of what my LFS charged me for it, if only i knew better back then... sigh] are all oak. the stand has that crappy veneer on it, as does the tank, but the canopy is all oak wood. so what would look catchy with oak in a floating panel doors ?

originally i was thinking about having the oak as the floating section, then surrounded by a darker wood, then the rest of the stand being oak as well, but do you [thai,jim, anyone else] think that will look tacky at all ? any ideas on this attractiveness issue will be, as always, greatly appreciated.

jim i like designing on the fly, it's just the german side of me, that makes me want to plan everything out. how did that old adage go? if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.. something like that..

Still waiting for cabinet door pics from jim, the uber craftsman =P
thai how's that skinning coming along?

i know the weekend has just started, but cut me some slack ?
bryan

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com