Garf stand problem-will it fit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hannibal_lector

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did the garf page and want to upgrade my stand from 28"tall to maybe 38" or even more...(for 55gal)

The problem is that I also want it to be wider because it dawned on me to just build a stand that looks nicer AND can fit a sump in it. The stand I have now is less than 12" deep inside so I cant fit any standard aquarium as a sump. Since I'd like a better taller stand anyway this works better than both building a sump and a cabinet for it...

ANYWAY ON TO THE PROBLEM! which is that I set the depth as 16" but that would I'm guessing be structurally bad because the weight would be off the sides and on just the center posts...so I need a way to reinforce yet keep it wide?!

so, are you building a stand for a 55 gallon tank? im confused. also, is this a glass or acrylic tank?

anyway, if you are building one for a 55 then listen up. i made a 2x4 frame to support the entire base of the tank, and a 2x4 frame to sit on the floor. my tank is glass, but this stand should work for an acrylic also (as long as you make a flat top for the complete tank to sit on). at the corners, i used 2 2x4's standing on end, and i screwed them together to form an "L". these were the legs that went between the top 2x4 frame and the bottom 2x4 frame. i used some heavy duty corner bracket (NOT those dinky little L brackets) to secure the legs to the 2x4 frames. I also added a vertical 2x4 in the front to break up the front face and provide an opening for my doors. if you use 2x4s you shouldnt need a brace in the front or back... but like i said, i added one for aesthetics.

so, if you build the basic box frame for the stand, then you can use whatever you want to increase the outside dimensions. just remember that the parts that hold up the tank need to be sturdy. the center vertical braces are not needed for a 55 gallon tank stand made from 2x4's.

i hope this makes sense... if you have questions post a sketch of what you want to build.

edit: i used Simpson Strong Tie part RTA2Z for my corner bracing... http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/RTC.html

~mike

Im thinking that Ive seen stands build that are wider then the tank in order to make room for all the plumbing (and have room for an external overflow box to be built on the back of the tank) to conseal it from view, painting the back of the tank is usually done with these setups..

to get an idea.. hear is a pic of someones project in planing I found.. :D

Attachments

• 3dtankf_594.jpg
    3dtankf_594.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 287
Back
Top Bottom